EU Enlargement, Parallel Trade and Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals - What’s to Blame? Derogation or Perception?
Given the cost of trade and availability of pharmaceuticals, the driving force for parallel trade is the price difference between the source (exporting) and the destination (importing) country. An increase in the price difference or in the availability of pharmaceuticals for parallel trade should increase price competition in the destination country. Using 2003-2007 data from Sweden we investigated whether EU enlargement in 2004, when new countries with low pharmaceutical prices joined the EU, increased competition from parallel imports. Drugs facing competition from parallel imports are found to have on average 17% to 21% lower prices than they would have had if they had never faced such competition. But, contrary to expectation, EU enlargement is not found to have increased this effect, which might be explained by derogations and changes in consumer perceptions of parallel imports.
|Date of creation:||27 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HUI Research, Regeringsgatan 60, 103 29 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 (0)8 762 72 80
Fax: +46 (0)8 679 76 06
Web page: http://www.hui.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pecorino, Paul, 2002. "Should the US allow prescription drug reimports from Canada?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 699-708, July.
- Margaret K. Kyle, 2007.
"Strategic Responses to Parallel Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
12968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Astrid L. Grasdal & Tor Helge Holmås, 2007.
"Regulation and Pricing of Pharmaceuticals: Reference Pricing or Price Cap Regulation?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2059, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Grasdal, Astrid L. & Holms, Tor Helge, 2009. "Regulation and pricing of pharmaceuticals: Reference pricing or price cap regulation?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 170-185, February.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Grasdal, Astrid L. & Holmås, Tor Helge, 2006. "Regulation and Pricing of Pharmaceuticals: Reference Pricing or Price Cap Regulation?," Working Papers in Economics 14/06, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Keith E. Maskus & Yongmin Chen, 2004.
"Vertical Price Control and Parallel Imports: Theory and Evidence,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 551-570, 09.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Yongmin Chen, 2000. "Vertical price control and parallel imports - theory and evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2461, The World Bank.
- Izabela Jelovac & Catalina Bordoy, 2005. "Pricing and Welfare Implications of Parallel Imports in the Pharmaceutical Industry," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-21, January.
- Yongmin Chen & Keith Maskus, 2005. "Vertical Pricing and Parallel Imports," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 1-18.
- Granlund, David & Yesim Köksal, Miyase, 2011. "Parallel Imports and Mandatory Substitution Reform: A kick or a muff for price competition in pharmaceuticals," Working Papers in Economics 496, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2004.
"Parallel imports and the pricing of pharmaceutical products: evidence from the European Union,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 1035-1057, September.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2004. "Parallel Import and the Pricing of Pharmaceutical Products: Evidence from the European Union," Working Paper Series 622, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Granlund, David & Köksal, Miyase Yesim, 2011. "Parallel Imports and Mandatory Substitution Reform - A Kick or A Muff for Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals?," HUI Working Papers 49, HUI Research.
- Granlund, David & Köksal , Miyase Yesim, 2011. "Parallel Imports and Mandatory Substitution Reform - A Kick or A Muff for Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals?," Umeå Economic Studies 824, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:huiwps:0059. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Nilsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.