The Price Premium for Organic Wines: Estimating a Hedonic Farm-gate Price Equation
Organic wines are increasingly produced and appreciated. Since organic production is more costly, a crucial question is whether they benefit from a price premium. We estimate hedonic price functions for Piedmont organic and conventional wines. We use data on the production side in addition to variables of interest for consumers. Our results show that, along with characteristics of interest to consumers, some farm and producer characteristics not directly relevant for consumers do significantly affect wine prices. We find that organic wine tends to obtain higher prices than conventional wine. The price premium is not simply an addition to other price components, but organic quality modifies the impact of the other variables on price.
|Date of creation:||11 Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as Corsi, Alessandro and Steinar Strøm, 'The Price Premium for Organic Wines: Estimating a Hedonic Farm-gate Price Equation' in Journal of Wine Economics, 2013, pages 29-48.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.htmlEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Delmas, Magali A. & Doctori-Blass, Vered & Shuster, Kara, 2008. "Ceago Vinegarden: How Green Is Your Wine? Environmental Differentiation Strategy Through Eco-Labels," Working Papers 37326, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Héla Hadj Ali & Sébastien Lecocq & Michael Visser, 2005.
"The impact of gurus : Parker grades and en primeur wine prices,"
Research Unit Working Papers
0507, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- HélaHadj Ali & Sébastien Lecocq & Michael Visser, 2008. "The Impact of Gurus: Parker Grades and "En Primeur" Wine Prices," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(529), pages F158-F173, 06.
- Hadj Ali H. & Lecocq S. & Visser M., 2007. "The impact of gurus: Parker grades and en primeur wine prices¤," Working Papers ERMES 0718, ERMES, University Paris 2.
- Ali-Kein, Hela Hadj & Lecocq, Sebastien & Visser, Michael, 2007. "The Impact of Gurus: Parker Grades and EN PRIMEUR Wine Prices," Working Papers 37292, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Günter Schamel, 2006. "Geography versus brands in a global wine market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 363-374.
- Mendelsohn, Robert, 1985. "Identifying Structural Equations with Single Market Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 525-29, August.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Gregory L. Poe & Kelly L. Giraud & John B. Loomis, 2005. "Computational Methods for Measuring the Difference of Empirical Distributions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(2), pages 353-365.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance, 1997. "The Use of Quality and Reputation Indicators by Consumers: The Case of Bordeaux Wine," MPRA Paper 9283, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marco Costanigro & Jill J. McCluskey & Ron C. Mittelhammer, 2007. "Segmenting the Wine Market Based on Price: Hedonic Regression when Different Prices mean Different Products," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 454-466, 09.
- Olivier Gergaud & Victor Ginsburgh, 2008.
"Natural Endowments, Production Technologies and the Quality of Wines in Bordeaux. Does Terroir Matter?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(529), pages F142-F157, 06.
- Gergaud, Olivier & Ginsburgh, Victor, 2010. "Natural Endowments, Production Technologies and the Quality of Wines in Bordeaux. Does Terroir Matter?," Journal of Wine Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 3-21, March.
- GERGAUD, Oliver & GINSBURGH, Victor, . "Natural endowments, production technologies and the quality of wines in Bordeaux. Does terroir matter?," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Olivier Gergaud & Victor Ginsburgh, 2008. "Natural endowments, production technologies and the quality of wines in Bordeaux. Does terroir matter?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/99266, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Lecocq, Sébastien & Visser, Michael, 2006. "Spatial Variations in Weather Conditions and Wine Prices in Bordeaux," Journal of Wine Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(02), pages 114-124, September.
- Lecocq, Sébastien & Visser, Michael, 2006. "What Determines Wine Prices: Objective vs. Sensory Characteristics," Journal of Wine Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 42-56, March.
- Nerlove, Marc, 1995. "Hedonic price functions and the measurement of preferences: The case of Swedish wine consumers," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1697-1716, December.
- Orley Ashenfelter, 2008.
"Predicting the Quality and Prices of Bordeaux Wine,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(529), pages F174-F184, 06.
- Ashenfelter, Orley, 2007. "Predicting the quality and prices of Bordeaux wines," Working Papers 37297, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Edward Oczkowski, 1994.
"A Hedonic Price Function For Australian Premium Table Wine,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 38(1), pages 93-110, 04.
- Oczkowski, Edward A., 1994. "A Hedonic Price Function For Australian Premium Table Wine," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 38(01), April.
- Oczkowski, Edward A., 1993. "A Hedonic Price Function for Australian Premium Table Wine," 1993 Conference (37th), February 9-11, 1993, Sydney, Australia 147769, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Greene, William H, 1981. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error: Comment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 795-98, May.
- Krinsky, Itzhak & Robb, A Leslie, 1986. "On Approximating the Statistical Properties of Elasticities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 715-19, November.
- Combris, Pierre & Lecocq, Sebastien & Visser, Michael, 1997. "Estimation for a Hedonic Price Equation for Bordeaux Wine: Does Quality Matter?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 390-402, March.
- Luigi Benfratello & Massimiliano Piacenza & Stefano Sacchetto, 2009. "Taste or reputation: what drives market prices in the wine industry? Estimation of a hedonic model for Italian premium wines," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(17), pages 2197-2209.
- Oczkowski, Edward, 2001. "Hedonic Wine Price Functions and Measurement Error," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(239), pages 374-82, December.
- Gibbs, Michael & Tapia, Mikel & Warzynski, Frederic, 2009. "Globalization, Superstars, and the Importance of Reputation: Theory & Evidence from the Wine Industry," Working Papers 09-3, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2013_007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhiana Bergh-Seeley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.