A hedonic price analysis for the Italian wine in the domestic market
Price formation in the domestic market has not been widely studied in spite of the importance of the Italian wine market in terms of sales. We use a unique dataset to estimate the hedonic price function for Italian wine sold on the Italian market in the period 2005–2011. For each bottle considered, the dataset records several characteristics such as the price by retail channel (on the mass market and in wine shops), label characteristics, chemical analysis, sensory evaluations and experts’ opinions. The objective of the analysis is to examine price setting on the mass market and in wine shops and to explore the differences in price formation for red and white wines. Our results have been obtained using an innovative technique that consists of combining hedonic price techniques with dimensionality reduction tools. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2015
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 49 (2015)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Corsi, Alessandro & Strøm, Steinar, 2013.
"The Price Premium for Organic Wines: Estimating a Hedonic Farm-Gate Price Equation,"
Journal of Wine Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 29-48, May.
- Corsi, Alessandro & Strøm, Steinar, 2013. "The Price Premium for Organic Wines: Estimating a Hedonic Farm-gate Price Equation," Memorandum 07/2013, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Luigi Benfratello & Massimiliano Piacenza & Stefano Sacchetto, 2009. "Taste or reputation: what drives market prices in the wine industry? Estimation of a hedonic model for Italian premium wines," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(17), pages 2197-2209.
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., "undated". "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP 412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marco Costanigro & Jill J. McCluskey & Ron C. Mittelhammer, 2007. "Segmenting the Wine Market Based on Price: Hedonic Regression when Different Prices mean Different Products," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 454-466, September.
- Rosella Levaggi & Eugenio Brentari, 2014. "The Hedonic Price for Italian Red Wine: Do Chemical and Sensory Characteristics Matter?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(4), pages 385-397, September.
- Combris, Pierre & Lecocq, Sebastien & Visser, Michael, 1997. "Estimation for a Hedonic Price Equation for Bordeaux Wine: Does Quality Matter?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 390-402, March.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-475, June.
- Paolo Roma & Giuseppe Di Martino & Giovanni Perrone, 2013. "What to show on the wine labels: a hedonic analysis of price drivers of Sicilian wines," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(19), pages 2765-2778, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:qualqt:v:49:y:2015:i:3:p:999-1012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.