Does the Quality of Store Brands Affect the Number of National Brand Suppliers?
This paper examines how the increased market shares of the store brands affect the entry and survival of national brand suppliers. The analysis is performed on monthly scanner data for a number of household- and personal-care products covering June 2001 through May 2004. An increased market share of medium-priced store brands was found to decrease the number of suppliers of national brands. However, no statistically significant impact was found of low-priced store brand market shares on the numer of national brand suppliers. It thus seems that it is mainly medium-priced store brands that compete with national brands.
|Date of creation:||09 Jun 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HUI Research, Regeringsgatan 60, 103 29 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 (0)8 762 72 80
Fax: +46 (0)8 679 76 06
Web page: http://www.hui.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Staahl Gabrielsen, T. & Sorgard, L., 2000.
"Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy,"
8/00, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & SÃ¸rgard, Lars, 2000. "Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt8wh900ks, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- K. Sudhir & Debabrata Talukdar, 2004. "Does Store Brand Patronage Improve Store Patronage?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 24(2), pages 143-160, 03.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Bergström, Fredrik, 2005.
"Entry into Swedish Retail and Wholesale Trade Markets,"
HUI Working Papers
2, HUI Research.
- Sven-olov Daunfeldt & Niklas Rudholm & Fredrik Bergström, 2006. "Entry into Swedish Retail and Wholesale Trade Markets," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 29(3), pages 213-225, November.
- Daunfeldt , Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Bergström, Fredrik, 2002. "Entry into Swedish Retail- and Wholesale Trade Markets," Umeå Economic Studies 599, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Ilmakunnas, Pekka & Topi, Jukka, 1996.
"Microeconomic and macroeconomic influences of entry and exit of firms,"
Research Discussion Papers
6/1996, Bank of Finland.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Jukka Topi, 1999. "Microeconomic and Macroeconomic Influences on Entry and Exit of Firms," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 15(3), pages 283-301, November.
- Bontemps Christophe & Orozco Valerie & Réquillart Vincent & Trevisiol Audrey, 2005.
"Price Effects of Private Label Development,"
Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Hellström, Jörgen, 1999.
"Generalized Integer-Valued Autoregression,"
Umeå Economic Studies
501, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Robert-Demontrond & R. Ringoot, 2004. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00081823, HAL.
- Hoch, Stephen J, 2002. " Product Experience Is Seductive," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(3), pages 448-454, December.
- Fiona Scott Morton, 2004. "Introduction to RIO Symposium Issue on Store Brands," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 24(2), pages 103-104, 03.
- Blundell, Richard & Griffith, Rachel & Windmeijer, Frank, 2002.
"Individual effects and dynamics in count data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 113-131, May.
- Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Frank Windmeijer, 1999. "Individual effects and dynamics in count data models," IFS Working Papers W99/03, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Granlund, David & Rudholm, Niklas, 2007. "Consumer Information and Pharmaceutical Prices: Theory and Evidence," Umeå Economic Studies 709, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:huiwps:0018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Nilsson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.