Fast Moving Consumer Goods: Competitive Conditions and Policies
Fast moving consumer goods (FMCGs) constitute a large part of consumers' budget in all countries. The retail sector for FMCGs in Turkey is in the process of a drastic transformation. New, "modern" retail formats, like chain stores and hyper/supermarkets, have rapidly diffused in almost all major urban areas, and increased their market share at the expense of traditional formats (grocery shops, green groceries, etc.) in the last couple of decades. This rapid transformation has raised concerns about competitive conditions in the sector. This study is aimed at to shed light on competitive conditions prevailing in the FMCGs retail trade sector in Turkey. We analyze how the structure of the market is being transformed in recent years by new retail formats. The study is focused on the analysis of competitive dynamics (inter-firm rivalry, pricing and non-price policies, barriers to entry, regulatory conditions, etc.) within the sector, and draws lessons for competition policy.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2005|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ankara 06531|
Phone: +90 (312) 210 2003
Fax: (312) 210 1244
Web page: http://www.erc.metu.edu.tr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cotterill, Ronald W & Putsis, William P, Jr & Dhar, Ravi, 2000.
"Assessing the Competitive Interaction between Private Labels and National Brands,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(1), pages 109-137, January.
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Putsis, William P., Jr. & Dhar, Ravi, 1999. "Assessing the Competitive Interaction Between Private Labels and National Brands," Research Reports 25177, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- William P. Putsis Jr. & Ronald W. Cotterill & Ravi Dhar, 1999. "Assessing the Competitive Interaction between Private Labels and National Brands," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm131, Yale School of Management.
- Ronald W. Cotterill & William P. Putsis Jr. & Ravi Dhar, 1999. "Assessing the Competitive Interaction Between Private Labels and National Brands," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 044, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Fiona Scott Morton & Florian Zettelmeyer, 2004. "The Strategic Positioning of Store Brands in Retailer--Manufacturer Negotiations," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 24(2), pages 161-194, 03.
- Olivier Boylaud & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2003. "Regulatory reform in retail distribution," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(1), pages 253-274.
- Olivier Boylaud, 2000. "Regulatory Reform in Road Freight and Retail Distribution," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 255, OECD Publishing.
- Serdar Sayman & Jagmohan S. Raju, 2004. "Investigating the Cross-Category Effects of Store Brands," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 24(2), pages 129-141, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:met:wpaper:0503. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erol Taymaz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.