Crop Insurance and Pesticides in French agriculture: an empirical analysis of multiple risks management
This paper investigates the determinants of rapeseed hail insurance and chemical input decisions using individual panel data set of French farms covering the period from 1993 to 2004. Economic theory suggests that insurance and prevention decisions are not independent due to risk reduction and/or moral hazard eff ects. We propose a theoretical framework that integrates two statistically independent sources of risk faced by farmers of our sample hail risk and pest risk. Statistical tests confi rm that chemical and insurance demands are endogenous to each other and simultaneously determined. An econometric model involving two simultaneous equations with mixed censored/continuous dependent variables is thus estimated for rapeseed. Estimation results show that rapeseed insurance demand has a positive and signi cant eff ect on pesticide use and vice versa. Insurance demand is also positively in uenced by the yield's coeffi cient of variation and the loss ratio, and negatively infl uenced by proxies for wealth (including CAP subsidies) and activity diversi cation.
|Date of creation:||03 May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00753733|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Just, Richard E., 2000. "Some Guiding Principles For Empirical Production Research In Agriculture," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(2), October.
- Richard E. Just & Linda Calvin & John Quiggin, 1999.
"Adverse Selection in Crop Insurance: Actuarial and Asymmetric Information Incentives,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 834-849.
- Just, Richard E. & Calvin, Linda & Quiggin, John, 1993. "Adverse Selection in Crop Insurance: Actuarial and Asymmetric Information Incentives," Working Papers 197809, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Vincent H. Smith & Barry K. Goodwin, 1996. "Crop Insurance, Moral Hazard, and Agricultural Chemical Use," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 428-438.
- Alarie, Y. & Eeckhoudt, L. & Dionne, G., 1990.
"Increases In Risk And The Demand For Insurance,"
Cahiers de recherche
9021, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- JunJie Wu, 1999. "Crop Insurance, Acreage Decisions, and Nonpoint-Source Pollution," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 305-320.
- Hau, Arthur, 2006. "Production under uncertainty with insurance or hedging," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 347-359, April.
- Gollier, Christian, 1996. "Deductible insurance and production: A comment," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 55-59, December.
- Velandia, Margarita M. & Rejesus, Roderick M. & Knight, Thomas O. & Sherrick, Bruce J., 2009. "Factors Affecting Farmersâ€™ Utilization of Agricultural Risk Management Tools: The Case of Crop Insurance, Forward Contracting, and Spreading Sales," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 41(01), April.
- David A. Hennessy, 2006.
"On Monoculture and the Structure of Crop Rotations,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(4), pages 900-914.
- Hennessy, David A., 2004. "On Monoculture and the Structure of Crop Rotations," Staff General Research Papers 12004, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy, 2004. "On Monoculture and the Structure of Crop Rotations," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 04-wp369, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Holt, Matthew T, 1996. "Economic Behavior under Uncertainty: A Joint Analysis of Risk Preferences and Technology," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 329-35, May.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1974. "Multivariate Regression and Simultaneous Equation Models when the Dependent Variables Are Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 999-1012, November.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Kirwan, Barrett E., 2009. "Adversity and the Propensity to Fail: The Impact of Disaster Payments and Multiple Peril Crop Insurance on U.S. Farm Exit Rates," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49569, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Roberts, Michael J. & Osteen, Craig & Soule, Meredith, 2004.
"Risk, Government Programs, and the Environment,"
184318, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1979. "The Estimation of a Simultaneous-Equation Tobit Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 20(1), pages 169-81, February.
- Rulon D. Pope, 2003. "Agricultural Risk Analysis: Adequacy of Models, Data, and Issues," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1249-1256.
- Machnes, Yaffa, 1995. "Deductible insurance and production," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 119-123, October.
- Phoebe Koundouri & Marita Laukkanen & Sami Myyrä & Céline Nauges, 2009. "The effects of EU agricultural policy changes on farmers' risk attitudes," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 53-77, March.
- Innes, Robert, 1990. "Government Target Price Intervention in Economies with Incomplete Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(4), pages 1035-52, November.
- Joseph W. Glauber, 2004. "Crop Insurance Reconsidered," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1179-1195.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Monte L. Vandeveer & John L. Deal, 2004. "An Empirical Analysis of Acreage Effects of Participation in the Federal Crop Insurance Program," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1058-1077.
- Nimon, R. Wesley & Mishra, Ashok K., 2001. "Revenue Insurance and Chemical Input Use Rates," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20669, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Vincent H. Smith & Alan E. Baquet, 1996. "The Demand for Multiple Peril Crop Insurance: Evidence from Montana Wheat Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 189-201.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00753733. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.