On Monoculture and the Structure of Crop Rotations
An issue when seeking to identify rotation choice is persistence in yield-enhancement and input-saving carry-over effects. Focusing on carry-over length and the monoculture decision, we use quasi-convexity of choice functions to develop price-independent and price-dependent principles concerning rotation structure. Iowa corn-soybean rotation data suggest corn has one-year memory. For corn, soybeans in the prior year is yield increasing (16.5 bu./ac.) and nitrogen saving (51 lb./ac.). The hypothesis that soybean has two-year memory cannot be rejected. Corn in the prior year (two years) increases yield by 7 bu./ac. (11.6 bu./ac.). We simulate to find price and practice subsidy levels that support different rotations. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 88 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newell, William H., 1973. "The Agricultural Revolution in Nineteenth-Century France," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(04), pages 697-731, December.
- Wu, JunJie & Adams, Richard M. & Kling, Catherine L. & Tanaka, Katsuya, 2004.
"From Microlevel Decisions to Landscape Changes: An Assessment of Agricultural Conservation Policies,"
Staff General Research Papers
12519, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- JunJie Wu & Richard M. Adams & Catherine L. Kling & Katsuya Tanaka, 2004. "From Microlevel Decisions to Landscape Changes: An Assessment of Agricultural Conservation Policies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 26-41.
- Masaaki Kijima, 1997. "The Generalized Harmonic Mean And A Portfolio Problem With Dependent Assets," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 71-87, July.
- P. F. Brandon, 1972. "Cereal Yields on the Sussex Estates of Battle Abbey during the Later Middle Ages," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 25(3), pages 403-420, 08.
- Alban Thomas, 2003. "A dynamic model of on-farm integrated nitrogen management," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 439-460, December.
- Rhode, Paul W., 1995. "Learning, Capital Accumulation, and the Transformation of California Agriculture," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 55(04), pages 773-800, December.
- Milgrom, Paul, 1989. "Auctions and Bidding: A Primer," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 3-22, Summer.
- C. Peter Timmer, 1969. "The Turnip, the New Husbandry, and the English Agricultural Revolution," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 83(3), pages 375-395.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992.
"Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
4084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1993. " Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1629-58, December.
- Sokoloff, Kenneth L. & Dollar, David, 1997. "Agricultural Seasonalily and the Organization of Manufacturing in Early Industrial Economies: The Contrast Between England and the United States," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 57(02), pages 288-321, June.
- Cowan, Robin & Gunby, Philip, 1996. "Sprayed to Death: Path Dependence, Lock-In and Pest Control Strategies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 521-42, May.
- Whatley, Warren C., 1987. "Southern Agrarian Labor Contracts as Impediments to Cotton Mechanization," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(01), pages 45-70, March.
- J. H. Plumb, 1952. "Sir Robert Walpole And Norfolk Husbandry," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 5(1), pages 86-89, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:88:y:2006:i:4:p:900-914. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.