On Monoculture and the Structure of Crop Rotations
An issue when seeking to identify rotation choice is persistence in yield-enhancement and input-saving carry-over effects. Focusing on carry-over length and the monoculture decision, we use quasi-convexity of choice functions to develop price-independent and price-dependent principles concerning rotation structure. Iowa corn-soybean rotation data suggest corn has one-year memory. For corn, soybeans in the prior year is yield increasing (16.5 bu./ac.) and nitrogen saving (51 lb./ac.). The hypothesis that soybean has two-year memory cannot be rejected. Corn in the prior year (two years) increases yield by 7 bu./ac. (11.6 bu./ac.). We simulate to find price and practice subsidy levels that support different rotations. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 88 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newell, William H., 1973. "The Agricultural Revolution in Nineteenth-Century France," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(04), pages 697-731, December.
- J. H. Plumb, 1952. "Sir Robert Walpole And Norfolk Husbandry," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 5(1), pages 86-89, 08.
- Alban Thomas, 2003. "A dynamic model of on-farm integrated nitrogen management," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 439-460, December.
- Cowan, Robin & Gunby, Philip, 1996. "Sprayed to Death: Path Dependence, Lock-In and Pest Control Strategies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 521-42, May.
- Wu, JunJie & Adams, Richard M. & Kling, Catherine L. & Tanaka, Katsuya, 2004.
"From Microlevel Decisions to Landscape Changes: An Assessment of Agricultural Conservation Policies,"
Staff General Research Papers
12519, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- JunJie Wu & Richard M. Adams & Catherine L. Kling & Katsuya Tanaka, 2004. "From Microlevel Decisions to Landscape Changes: An Assessment of Agricultural Conservation Policies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 26-41.
- Milgrom, Paul, 1989. "Auctions and Bidding: A Primer," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 3-22, Summer.
- Timmer, C Peter, 1969. "The Turnip, the New Husbandry, and the English Agricultural Revolution," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 375-95, August.
- Sokoloff, Kenneth L. & Dollar, David, 1997. "Agricultural Seasonalily and the Organization of Manufacturing in Early Industrial Economies: The Contrast Between England and the United States," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 57(02), pages 288-321, June.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1993.
" Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1629-58, December.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992. "Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies," NBER Working Papers 4084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Whatley, Warren C., 1987. "Southern Agrarian Labor Contracts as Impediments to Cotton Mechanization," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(01), pages 45-70, March.
- Masaaki Kijima, 1997. "The Generalized Harmonic Mean And A Portfolio Problem With Dependent Assets," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 71-87, July.
- P. F. Brandon, 1972. "Cereal Yields on the Sussex Estates of Battle Abbey during the Later Middle Ages," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 25(3), pages 403-420, 08.
- Rhode, Paul W., 1995. "Learning, Capital Accumulation, and the Transformation of California Agriculture," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 55(04), pages 773-800, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:88:y:2006:i:4:p:900-914. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.