Education, Convergence and Carbon Dioxide Growth per Capita
This paper examines the existence of convergence and the importance of education on carbon dioxide growth per capita, over the period 1970-2004 for 85 countries. We use panel data and apply GMM-System estimation. This rigorous approach takes into account the observed and unobserved heterogeneity of countries, and solves the endogeneity problems associated with some variables. Our results suggest a divergence in per capita carbon dioxide emissions around the world, and that education is not a factor in carbon dioxide emissions growth. Contrary to commonly held beliefs based on intuition, we provide evidence that, in developing countries, there is no convergence, and that education is not a factor in carbon dioxide growth. In developed countries, we find a convergence for per capita carbon dioxide emissions. Education was found to be a factor in pollution growth, although its effect is mitigated by the presence of political institutions.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Publication status:||Published in African Journal of Science, Technology, Innovation and Development, 2011, Volume 3 (Number 1), pp.65-85|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00684315|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Danny Quah, 2000. "Cross-country growth comparison : theory to empirics," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2251, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Caselli, Francesco & Coleman II, Wilbur John, 2001.
"Cross-Country Technology Diffusion: The Case of Computers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2744, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Caselli & Wilbur John Coleman, 2001. "Cross-Country Technology Diffusion: The Case of Computers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 328-335, May.
- Francesco Caselli & Wilbur John Coleman II, 2001. "Cross-Country Technology Diffusion: The Case of Computers," NBER Working Papers 8130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Bond & Anke Hoeffler & Jonathan Temple, 2001.
"GMM Estimation of Empirical Growth Models,"
2001-W21, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Farzin, Y. Hossein & Bond, Craig A., 2006. "Democracy and environmental quality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 213-235, October.
- Brock,W.A. & Taylor,M.S., 2004.
"The Green Solow model,"
16, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- repec:oxf:wpaper:2001-w21 is not listed on IDEAS
- Westerlund, Joakim & Basher, Syed A., 2007.
"Testing for Convergence in Carbon Dioxide Emissions Using a Century of Panel Data,"
3262, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joakim Westerlund & Syed Basher, 2008. "Testing for Convergence in Carbon Dioxide Emissions Using a Century of Panel Data," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(1), pages 109-120, May.
- Alison Stegman, 2005.
"Convergence In Carbon Emissions Per Capita,"
CAMA Working Papers
2005-08, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- McMahon, Walter W., 2002. "Education and Development: Measuring the Social Benefits," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199250721, December.
- Bimonte, Salvatore, 2002. "Information access, income distribution, and the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 145-156, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00684315. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.