Are there Long-Run Diversification Gains from the Dow Jones Islamic Finance Index?
We compare nonlinear cointegration tests with the standard cointegration tests in studying the relationship of the Dow Jones Islamic finance index with three other conventional equity market indices. Our results show that there is a long-run nonlinear cointegrating relationship between the Dow Jones Islamic stock market index and other conventional stock market indices. Our findings rely on a battery of standard tests as well as on the Bierens and Martins (2010) test that investigates time-varying coefficient cointegration in a multivariate system. Islamic markets seem to offer little, if any, long-run diversification to international investors.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 90 (392) 630-1291|
Fax: 90 (392) 365-1017
Web page: http://economics.emu.edu.tr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nasr, Adnen Ben & Lux, Thomas & Ajmi, Ahdi Noomen & Gupta, Rangan, 2016.
"Forecasting the volatility of the Dow Jones Islamic Stock Market Index: Long memory vs. regime switching,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 559-571.
- Nasr, Adnen Ben & Lux, Thomas & Ajm, Ahdi Noomen & Gupta, Rangan, 2014. "Forecasting the volatility of the dow jones islamic stock market index: Long memory vs. regime switching," Economics Working Papers 2014-07, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Adnen Ben Nasr & Thomas Lux & Ahdi N. Ajmi & Rangan Gupta, 2014. "Forecasting the Volatility of the Dow Jones Islamic Stock Market Index: Long Memory vs. Regime Switching," Working Papers 201412, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Adnen Ben Nasr & Thomas Lux & Ahdi Noomen Ajmi & Rangan Gupta, 2014. "Forecasting the Volatility of the Dow Jones Islamic Stock Market Index: Long Memory vs. Regime Switching," Working Papers 2014-236, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Ben Nasr, Adnen & Lux, Thomas & Ajmi, Ahdi Noomen & Gupta, Rangan, 2014. "Forecasting the Volatility of the Dow Jones Islamic Stock Market Index: Long Memory vs. Regime Switching," FinMaP-Working Papers 2, Collaborative EU Project FinMaP - Financial Distortions and Macroeconomic Performance: Expectations, Constraints and Interaction of Agents.
- Vasco Gabriel & Luis Martins, 2011. "Cointegration tests under multiple regime shifts: An application to the stock price–dividend relationship," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 639-662, December.
- Vasco Gabriel & Luis Martins, 2010. "Cointegration Tests under Multiple Regime Shifts: An Application to the Stock Price-Dividend Relationship," School of Economics Discussion Papers 0910, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Vasco J. Gabriel & Luis F. Martins, 2010. "Cointegration Tests Under Multiple Regime Shifts: An Application to the Stock Price-Dividend Relationship," NIPE Working Papers 28/2010, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Saban Nazlioglu & Shawkat Hammoudeh & Rangan Gupta, 2015. "Volatility transmission between Islamic and conventional equity markets: evidence from causality-in-variance test," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(46), pages 4996-5011, October.
- Saban Nazlioglu & Shawkat Hammoudeh & Rangan Gupta, 2013. "Volatility Transmission between Islamic and Conventional Equity Markets: Evidence from Causality-in-Variance Test," Working Papers 201384, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- R.K. Kaundal & Sanjeet Sharma, 2010. "Stock Market Integration," Foreign Trade Review, , vol. 45(3), pages 3-18, October.
- Bierens, Herman J. & Martins, Luis F., 2010. "Time-Varying Cointegration," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(05), pages 1453-1490, October.
- Park, Joon Y. & Hahn, Sang B., 1999. "Cointegrating Regressions With Time Varying Coefficients," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(05), pages 664-703, October.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emu:wpaper:15-20.pdf. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mehmet Balcilar)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.