Nonlinear Phenomena in a Growing Economy with Convex Adjustment Costs
We discuss the implications of nonlinear dynamic phenomena for policy definition in a growing economy. De- parting from the hypothesis that local analysis of economic systems focus the definition of policy on short run outcomes, we propose that to have a clearer perspective on long run outcomes, we have to focus the analysis on the study of local bifurcations and global dynamics instead. This approach, in our opinion, provides a better insight on complex macroeconomic phenomena and allows for a better definition of policy rules in a long run horizon. To demonstrate this hypothesis, we set up a representative agent economy based on neoclassical assumptions, where agents face convex risk premium and investment adjustment costs. This economy describes an endogenous opti- mal growth model, that has solutions given by a nonlinear three-dimensional dynamical system. To evaluate this system, we resort to qualitative analysis methods and show the existence of fold (saddle-node), hopf and fold-hopf bifurcations, in a multiple equilibria environment. Numerical results suggest the absence of local stable solutions for a wide range of parameter values. We then focus our analysis on the complex organization of the economy phase-space and evaluate several conjectures related to the existence of complex nonlinear phenomena in the vicinity of fold-hopf bifurcation points. We relate these conjectures with the hypothesis of endogenous structural change and discuss the implications of complex global dynamic phenomena for long run policy definition.
|Date of creation:||05 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +322 299 3523
Fax: +322 299 3523
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htmEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lionel W. McKenzie, 2012.
The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics,
- Wirl, Franz, 2002. "Stability and limit cycles in competitive equilibria subject to adjustment costs and dynamic spillovers," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 375-398, March.
- Sydney C. Ludvigson & Serena Ng, 2009.
"Macro Factors in Bond Risk Premia,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(12), pages 5027-5067, December.
- Vogelsang, Timothy J & Perron, Pierre, 1998.
"Additional Tests for a Unit Root Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1073-1100, November.
- Vogelsang, T.J. & Perron, P., 1994. "Additional Tests for a Unit Root Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time," Cahiers de recherche 9422, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Vogelsang, T.J. & Perron, P., 1994. "Additional Tests for a Unit Root Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time," Cahiers de recherche 9422, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1973. "Do Walras' identity and continuity characterize the class of community excess demand functions?," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 345-354, August.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989.
"The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Perron, P, 1988. "The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis," Papers 338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 2000.
"Sovereign Liquidity Crises: The Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 335-62, January.
- Marcus H. Miller & Lei Zhang, 1999. "Sovereign Liquidity Crisis: The Strategic Case for A Payments Standstill," Working Paper Series WP99-8, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 1998. "Sovereign Liquidity Crises: the Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," CEPR Discussion Papers 1820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcus Miller & Lei Zhang, 1999. "Sovereign Liquidity Crisis: The Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," CSGR Working papers series 35/99, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Jean-Pierre Drugeon, 1998. "A model with endogenously determined cycles, discounting and growth," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 349-369.
- Kazuo Nishimura & Tadashi Shigoka, 2006. "Sunspots and Hopf bifurcations in continuous time endogenous growth models," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(3-4), pages 199-216.
- Sergey Slobodyan, 2002.
"Indeterminacy and Stability in a Modified Romer Model,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp205, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Slobodyan, Sergey, 2007. "Indeterminacy and stability in a modified Romer model," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 169-177, March.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Bernardo Guimaraes & Nouriel Roubini, 2003.
"International Lending of Last Resort and Moral Hazard: A Model of IMF's Catalytic Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
10125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Guimaraes, Bernardo & Roubini, Nouriel, 2006. "International lending of last resort and moral hazard: A model of IMF's catalytic finance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 441-471, April.
- Massimo Di Matteo, 2009. "Economic Dynamics as a Succession of Equilibria: The Path Travelled by Morishima," Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID) University of Siena 1209, Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID), University of Siena.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Frédéric Lordon, 1995. "Cycles et chaos dans un modèle hétérodoxe de croissance endogène," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 46(6), pages 1405-1432.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Nishimura, Kiyohiko Giichi, 1981. "On uniqueness of a steady state and convergence of optimal paths in multisector models of optimal growth with a discount rate," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 157-167, April.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2009.
"A Theory of Minsky Super-Cycles and Financial Crises,"
IMK Working Paper
05-2009, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2011. "A Theory of Minsky Super-cycles and Financial Crises ," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(1), pages 31-46.
- Mauricio Drelichman & Hans-Joachim Voth, 2008.
"Debt Sustainability in Historical Perspective: The Role of Fiscal Repression,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 6(2-3), pages 657-667, 04-05.
- Joachim Voth & Mauricio Drelichman, 2008. "Debt sustainability in historical perspective: The role of fiscal repression," Economics Working Papers 1184, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Paolo Mattana & Kazuo Nishimura & Tadashi Shigoka, 2009. "Homoclinic bifurcation and global indeterminacy of equilibrium in a two-sector endogenous growth model," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 5(1), pages 25-47.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 2002. "Knife-Edge Conditions And The Macrodynamics Of Small Open Economies," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 307-335, April.
- Frank Hilker & Horst Malchow, 2006. "Strange Periodic Attractors in a Prey-Predator System with Infected Prey," Mathematical Population Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 119-134.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1991.
"Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- French, Kenneth R & Poterba, James M, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 222-26, May.
- Fuchs, Gerard, 1975. "Structural stability for dynamical economic models," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 139-154.
- Frédéric Lordon, 1995. "Cycles et chaos dans un modèle hétérodoxe de croissance endogène," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(6), pages 1405-1432.
- Veneziani, Roberto & Mohun, Simon, 2006. "Structural stability and Goodwin's growth cycle," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 437-451, December.
- Tyrrell Rockafellar, R., 1976. "Saddle points of Hamiltonian systems in convex Lagrange problems having a nonzero discount rate," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 71-113, February.
- Eicher, Theo S. & Schubert, Stefan F. & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 2008. "Dynamic effects of terms of trade shocks: The impact on debt and growth," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 876-896, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2013_05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.