Nonlinear Phenomena in a Growing Economy with Convex Adjustment Costs
We discuss the implications of nonlinear dynamic phenomena for policy definition in a growing economy. De- parting from the hypothesis that local analysis of economic systems focus the definition of policy on short run outcomes, we propose that to have a clearer perspective on long run outcomes, we have to focus the analysis on the study of local bifurcations and global dynamics instead. This approach, in our opinion, provides a better insight on complex macroeconomic phenomena and allows for a better definition of policy rules in a long run horizon. To demonstrate this hypothesis, we set up a representative agent economy based on neoclassical assumptions, where agents face convex risk premium and investment adjustment costs. This economy describes an endogenous opti- mal growth model, that has solutions given by a nonlinear three-dimensional dynamical system. To evaluate this system, we resort to qualitative analysis methods and show the existence of fold (saddle-node), hopf and fold-hopf bifurcations, in a multiple equilibria environment. Numerical results suggest the absence of local stable solutions for a wide range of parameter values. We then focus our analysis on the complex organization of the economy phase-space and evaluate several conjectures related to the existence of complex nonlinear phenomena in the vicinity of fold-hopf bifurcation points. We relate these conjectures with the hypothesis of endogenous structural change and discuss the implications of complex global dynamic phenomena for long run policy definition.
|Date of creation:||05 Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Louise, 1050 Brussels|
Phone: +32 2271 9482
Fax: +32 2271 9480
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul M, 1986. "Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-1037, October.
- Mauricio Drelichman & Hans-Joachim Voth, 2008.
"Debt Sustainability in Historical Perspective: The Role of Fiscal Repression,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 6(2-3), pages 657-667, 04-05.
- Joachim Voth & Mauricio Drelichman, 2008. "Debt sustainability in historical perspective: The role of fiscal repression," Economics Working Papers 1184, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Sydney C. Ludvigson & Serena Ng, 2009. "Macro Factors in Bond Risk Premia," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(12), pages 5027-5067, December.
- Wirl, Franz, 2002. "Stability and limit cycles in competitive equilibria subject to adjustment costs and dynamic spillovers," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 375-398, March.
- Paolo Mattana & Kazuo Nishimura & Tadashi Shigoka, 2009. "Homoclinic bifurcation and global indeterminacy of equilibrium in a two-sector endogenous growth model," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 5(1), pages 25-47.
- Slobodyan, Sergey, 2007. "Indeterminacy and stability in a modified Romer model," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 169-177, March.
- Sergey Slobodyan, 2002. "Indeterminacy and Stability in a Modified Romer Model," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp205, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Kazuo Nishimura & Tadashi Shigoka, 2006. "Sunspots and Hopf bifurcations in continuous time endogenous growth models," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(3-4), pages 199-216.
- Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 2000. "Sovereign Liquidity Crises: The Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 335-362, January.
- Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 1998. "Sovereign Liquidity Crises: the Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," CEPR Discussion Papers 1820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcus Miller & Lei Zhang, 1999. "Sovereign Liquidity Crisis: The Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," CSGR Working papers series 35/99, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Marcus H. Miller & Lei Zhang, 1999. "Sovereign Liquidity Crisis: The Strategic Case for A Payments Standstill," Working Paper Series WP99-8, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990. "Endogenous Technological Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 71-102, October.
- Frank Hilker & Horst Malchow, 2006. "Strange Periodic Attractors in a Prey-Predator System with Infected Prey," Mathematical Population Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 119-134.
- Jean-Pierre Drugeon, 1998. "A model with endogenously determined cycles, discounting and growth," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 12(2), pages 349-369.
- Tyrrell Rockafellar, R., 1976. "Saddle points of Hamiltonian systems in convex Lagrange problems having a nonzero discount rate," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 71-113, February.
- Vogelsang, Timothy J & Perron, Pierre, 1998. "Additional Tests for a Unit Root Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1073-1100, November.
- Vogelsang, T.J. & Perron, P., 1994. "Additional Tests for a Unit Root Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time," Cahiers de recherche 9422, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Vogelsang, T.J. & Perron, P., 1994. "Additional Tests for a Unit Root Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time," Cahiers de recherche 9422, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Fuchs, Gerard, 1975. "Structural stability for dynamical economic models," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 139-154.
- Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1973. "Do Walras' identity and continuity characterize the class of community excess demand functions?," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 345-354, August.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Perron, P, 1988. "The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis," Papers 338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Eicher, Theo S. & Schubert, Stefan F. & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 2008. "Dynamic effects of terms of trade shocks: The impact on debt and growth," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 876-896, October.
- Lionel W. McKenzie, 2012. "turnpike theory," The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, Palgrave Macmillan.
- McKenzie, Lionel W, 1976. "Turnpike Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 841-865, September.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2011. "A Theory of Minsky Super-cycles and Financial Crises ," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(1), pages 31-46.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2009. "A Theory of Minsky Super-Cycles and Financial Crises," IMK Working Paper 05-2009, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Nishimura, Kiyohiko Giichi, 1981. "On uniqueness of a steady state and convergence of optimal paths in multisector models of optimal growth with a discount rate," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 157-167, April.
- Frédéric Lordon, 1995. "Cycles et chaos dans un modèle hétérodoxe de croissance endogène," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 46(6), pages 1405-1432.
- French, Kenneth R & Poterba, James M, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 222-226, May.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 3609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greiner Alfred & Semmler Willi, 1996. "Saddle Path Stability, Fluctuations, and Indeterminacy in Economic Growth," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(2), pages 1-16, July.
- Massimo Di Matteo, 2009. "Economic Dynamics as a Succession of Equilibria: The Path Travelled by Morishima," Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID) University of Siena 1209, Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID), University of Siena.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Guimaraes, Bernardo & Roubini, Nouriel, 2006. "International lending of last resort and moral hazard: A model of IMF's catalytic finance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 441-471, April.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Bernardo Guimaraes & Nouriel Roubini, 2003. "International Lending of Last Resort and Moral Hazard: A Model of IMF's Catalytic Finance," NBER Working Papers 10125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Veneziani, Roberto & Mohun, Simon, 2006. "Structural stability and Goodwin's growth cycle," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 437-451, December.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 2002. "Knife-Edge Conditions And The Macrodynamics Of Small Open Economies," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 307-335, April.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2013_05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.