Sovereign Liquidity Crises: the Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill
Is sovereign debt so different from corporate debt that there is no need for bankruptcy procedures to handle potential defaults? The basic tools of finance seem to confirm that, without water-tight sovereign immunity, creditors face a Prisoner’s Dilemma: litiginous creditors may be tempted to grab what sovereign assets they can in a ‘race of the vultures’. Recent case history also suggests that there may be gains to ‘learning by suing’. To check this by a standstill on payments would doubtless run some risk of debtor’s moral hazard, as the Institute for International Finance have warned in their report on crisis resolution. But not to have an orderly procedure may mean that the IMF is de facto forced to bail out distressed members, leading to the risk of investors’ moral hazard, where investors lend without monitoring (secure in the belief that the international agencies will have to intervene). The strategic case for making legal a standstill on payments is to rescue the authorities from this ‘time consistent’ trap.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1994. "The Logic of Currency Crises," NBER Working Papers 4640, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, March.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Sibert, Anne, 1999. "UDROP: A Small Contribution to the New International Financial Architecture," CEPR Discussion Papers 2138, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcus Miller & Lei Zhang, 1998. "Macroeconomic Policy Options for Managing Capital Flows," CSGR Hot Topics: Research on Current Issues 01, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1989.
"Sovereign Debt Repurchases: No Cure for Overhang,"
NBER Working Papers
2850, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lambrecht, Bart & Perraudin, William, 1996. "Creditor races and contingent claims," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 897-907, April.
- William R. Cline, 1995. "International Debt Reexamined," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 46, January.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1993.
"A valuation formula for LDC debt,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 167-180, February.
- Barry J. Eichengreen, 1999. "Toward a New International Financial Architecture: A Practical Post-Asia Agenda," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 51, January.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Avinash Dixit, 1991.
"Market Valuation of Illiquid Debt and Implications for Conflicts among Creditors,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 828-849, December.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Avinash K Dixit, 1990. "Market Valuation of Illiquid Debt and Implications for Conflicts Among Creditors," IMF Working Papers 90/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Jonathan Eaton & Mark Gersovitz, 1981. "Debt with Potential Repudiation: Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 289-309.
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1988. "The Buyback Boondoggle," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(2), pages 675-704.
- Stanley Fischer, 1999. "On the Need for an International Lender of Last Resort," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 85-104, Fall.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, March.
- Buiter, Willem H & Sibert, Anne C, 1999. "UDROP: A Contribution to the New International Financial Architecture," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 227-47, July.
- Amar Bhattacharya & Marcus Miller, 1999. "Coping with Crises: Is There a "Silver Bullet"?," CSGR Hot Topics: Research on Current Issues 06, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:1820. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.