Learning through experience in Research & Development: an empirical analysis with Spanish firms
In this paper we analyse the role of learning through experience in Research and Development (R&D) activities in strengthening firms’ capabilities to achieve innovation outcomes. Using a production function approach, we estimate a count-data model using a panel dataset of Spanish manufacturing firms for the period 1990-2006. We find that the number of years of engagement in R&D activities is positively associated with the achievement of product innovations. Our results highlight that experience in R&D is an additional technological asset to be considered for a good management practice. In particular our findings indicate that the relationship between firms’ R&D experience and product innovations is non-linear, that is, that experience has a positive effect on the probability to achieve product innovations, but at a decreasing rate. In addition, our results suggest that, although large firms are more efficient than SMEs in converting R&D investment into product innovations, SMEs obtain more efficiency gains from R&D experience than large firms.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 963 82 83 49
Fax: 963 82 83 54
Web page: http://www.estructuraeconomica.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nancy L Stokey, 1986.
"Learning-by-Doing and the Introduction of New Goods,"
699, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science, revised May 1987.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1988. "Learning by Doing and the Introduction of New Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 701-17, August.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse & Pierre Mohnen, 2009.
"Measuring the Returns to R&D,"
NBER Working Papers
15622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse & Pierre Mohnen, 2010. "Measuring the Returns to R&D," CIRANO Working Papers 2010s-02, CIRANO.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques & Mohnen, Pierre, 2010. "Measuring the Returns to R&D," MERIT Working Papers 006, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 2000. "Knowledge, Innovation Activities and Industrial Evolution," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 289-313, June.
- West, Jonathan & Iansiti, Marco, 2003. "Experience, experimentation, and the accumulation of knowledge: the evolution of R&D in the semiconductor industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 809-825, May.
- Jacob Mincer, 1958. "Investment in Human Capital and Personal Income Distribution," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 281.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Isgut, Alberto & Fernandes, Ana, 2007. "Learning-by-Exporting Effects: Are They for Real?," MPRA Paper 3121, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baldwin, John R., 1995. "Innovation: The Key to Success in Small Firms," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1995076e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Baffoe-Bonnie, John & Ezeala-Harrison, Fidelis, 2005. "Incidence and duration of unemployment spells: Implications for the male-female wage differentials," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-5), pages 824-847, September.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Utterback, James M & Abernathy, William J, 1975. "A dynamic model of process and product innovation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 3(6), pages 639-656, December.
- Roberto G. Gutierrez & Jean Marie Linhart & Jeffrey S. Pitblado, 2003. "From the help desk: Local polynomial regression and Stata plugins," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(4), pages 412-419, December.
- Nola Hewitt-Dundas, 2006. "Resource and Capability Constraints to Innovation in Small and Large Plants," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 257-277, 04.
- Pilar Beneito & Amparo Sanchis Llopis & María Engracia. Rochina Barrachina, 2007. "R&D-Experience And Innovation Success," Working Papers. Serie EC 2007-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eec:wpaper:1302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silviano Esteve)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.