Machines and machinists: Capital-skill complementarity from an international trade perspective
We estimate the effect of imported machines on the wages of machine operators utilizing Hungarian linked employer-employee data. We infer exposure to imported machines from detailed trade statistics of the firm and the occupation description of the worker. We find that workers exposed to imported machines earn about 8 percent higher wages than other machine operators at the same firm. When we proxy for unobserved worker characteristics, we find a significant 3 percent wage premium, suggesting that the relationship is causal. The return to schooling is also higher on imported machines. We build a simple matching model consistent with these findings. Our findings suggest that machine imports can be an important channel through which skill-biased technical change reaches less developed and emerging economies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aitken, B. & Harrison, A. & Lipsey, R.E., 1995.
"Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States,"
95-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & Lipsey, Robert E., 1996. "Wages and foreign ownership A comparative study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 345-371, May.
- Brian Aitken & Ann Harrison & Robert E. Lipsey, 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela and the United States," NBER Working Papers 5102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Halpern, László & Koren, Miklós & Szeidl, Adam, 2005.
"Imports and Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laszlo Halpern & Miklos Koren & Adam Szeidl, 2005. "Import and Productivity," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0509, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Laszlo Halpern & Miklos Koren & Adam Szeidl, 2006. "Imports and Productivity," 2006 Meeting Papers 796, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Elhanan Helpman & David T. Coe, 1993. "International RandD Spillovers," IMF Working Papers 93/84, International Monetary Fund.
- Boyan Jovanovic, 1998.
"Vintage Capital and Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
6416, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paula Bustos, 2005.
"The impact of trade liberalization on skill upgrading. Evidence from Argentina,"
Economics Working Papers
1189, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2011.
- Paula Bustos, 2011. "The Impact of Trade Liberalization on Skill Upgrading Evidence from Argentina," Working Papers 559, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Verhoogen, Eric, 2007.
"Trade, Quality Upgrading and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2913, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eric A. Verhoogen, 2008. "Trade, Quality Upgrading, and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(2), pages 489-530, 05.
- Verhoogen, Eric A, 2007. "Trade, Quality Upgrading and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," CEPR Discussion Papers 6385, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eric Verhoogen, 2007. "Trade, quality upgrading and wage inequality in the Mexican manufacturing sector," Discussion Papers 0607-08, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Oi, Walter Y. & Idson, Todd L., 1999. "Firm size and wages," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 33, pages 2165-2214 Elsevier.
- Francesco Caselli & Daniel Wilson, 2003.
Working Paper Series
2003-04, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- J. David Brown & John Earle & Álmos Telegdy, 2008.
"Employment and Wage Effects of Privatization: Evidence from Hungary, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine,"
CERT Discussion Papers
0807, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- J. DavidBrown & JohnS. Earle & �lmos Telegdy, 2010. "Employment and Wage Effects of Privatisation: Evidence from Hungary, Romania, Russia and Ukraine," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(545), pages 683-708, 06.
- J. David Brown & John S. Earle & Almos Telegdy, . "Employment and Wage Effects of Privatisation: Evidence from Hungary, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles jse2010, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Brown, J. David & Earle, John S. & Telegdy, Álmos, 2008. "Employment and Wage Effects of Privatization: Evidence from Hungary, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine," IZA Discussion Papers 3688, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alfaro, Laura & Hammel, Eliza, 2007. "Capital flows and capital goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 128-150, May.
- Entorf, Horst & Gollac, Michel & Kramarz, Francis, 1997.
"New Technologies, Wages and Worker Selection,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1761, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:fth:starer:98-16 is not listed on IDEAS
- Timothy Dunne & J. Bradford Jensen & Mark J. Roberts, 2009. "Producer Dynamics: New Evidence from Micro Data," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number dunn05-1, December.
- Jonathan Vogel & Arnaud Costinot, 2008.
"Matching and Inequality in the World Economy,"
2008 Meeting Papers
879, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Paula Bustos, 2010. "Trade Liberalization, Technology and Skill Upgrading. Evidence from Argentina," 2010 Meeting Papers 937, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Alexandra Spitz-Oener, 2006. "Technical Change, Job Tasks, and Rising Educational Demands: Looking outside the Wage Structure," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 235-270, April.
- repec:fth:starer:9816 is not listed on IDEAS
- László Halpern & Miklós Koren & Adam Szeidl, 2011. "Imported Inputs and Productivity," CeFiG Working Papers 8, Center for Firms in the Global Economy, revised 16 Sep 2011.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8317. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.