Machines and machinists: Capital-skill complementarity from an international trade perspective
We estimate the effect of imported machines on the wages of machine operators utilizing Hungarian linked employer-employee data. We infer exposure to imported machines from detailed trade statistics of the firm and the occupation description of the worker. We find that workers exposed to imported machines earn about 8 percent higher wages than other machine operators at the same firm. When we proxy for unobserved worker characteristics, we find a significant 3 percent wage premium, suggesting that the relationship is causal. The return to schooling is also higher on imported machines. We build a simple matching model consistent with these findings. Our findings suggest that machine imports can be an important channel through which skill-biased technical change reaches less developed and emerging economies.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oi, Walter Y. & Idson, Todd L., 1999. "Firm size and wages," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 33, pages 2165-2214 Elsevier.
- Francesco Caselli & Daniel Wilson, 2003.
NBER Working Papers
9928, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, B. & Harrison, A. & Lipsey, R.E., 1995.
"Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States,"
95-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & Lipsey, Robert E., 1996. "Wages and foreign ownership A comparative study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 345-371, May.
- Brian Aitken & Ann Harrison & Robert E. Lipsey, 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela and the United States," NBER Working Papers 5102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brown, J. David & Earle, John S. & Telegdy, Álmos, 2008.
"Employment and Wage Effects of Privatization: Evidence from Hungary, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3688, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- J. DavidBrown & JohnS. Earle & �lmos Telegdy, 2010. "Employment and Wage Effects of Privatisation: Evidence from Hungary, Romania, Russia and Ukraine," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(545), pages 683-708, 06.
- J. David Brown & John Earle & Álmos Telegdy, 2008. "Employment and Wage Effects of Privatization: Evidence from Hungary, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine," CERT Discussion Papers 0807, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- J. David Brown & John S. Earle & Almos Telegdy, . "Employment and Wage Effects of Privatisation: Evidence from Hungary, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles jse2010, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Jovanovic, B., 1998.
"Vintage Capital and Equality,"
98-16, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- H, Entorf & Michel Gollac & Francis Kramarz, 1997.
"New Technologies, Wages and Worker Selection,"
97-25, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Halpern, László & Koren, Miklós & Szeidl, Adam, 2005.
"Imports and Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laszlo Halpern & Miklos Koren & Adam Szeidl, 2006. "Imports and Productivity," 2006 Meeting Papers 796, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Laszlo Halpern & Miklos Koren & Adam Szeidl, 2005. "Import and Productivity," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0509, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Eric Verhoogen, 2007.
"Trade, quality upgrading and wage inequality in the Mexican manufacturing sector,"
0607-08, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Eric A. Verhoogen, 2008. "Trade, Quality Upgrading, and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(2), pages 489-530, 05.
- Verhoogen, Eric A, 2007. "Trade, Quality Upgrading and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," CEPR Discussion Papers 6385, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Verhoogen, Eric, 2007. "Trade, Quality Upgrading and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," IZA Discussion Papers 2913, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arnaud Costinot & Jonathan Vogel, 2009.
"Matching and Inequality in the World Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
14672, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paula Bustos, 2010. "Trade Liberalization, Technology and Skill Upgrading. Evidence from Argentina," 2010 Meeting Papers 937, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Timothy Dunne & J. Bradford Jensen & Mark J. Roberts, 2009. "Producer Dynamics: New Evidence from Micro Data," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number dunn05-1, August.
- Paula Bustos, 2011.
"The Impact of Trade Liberalization on Skill Upgrading Evidence from Argentina,"
559, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Paula Bustos, 2005. "The impact of trade liberalization on skill upgrading. Evidence from Argentina," Economics Working Papers 1189, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2011.
- László Halpern & Miklós Koren & Adam Szeidl, 2011. "Imported Inputs and Productivity," CeFiG Working Papers 8, Center for Firms in the Global Economy, revised 16 Sep 2011.
- Elhanan Helpman & David T. Coe, 1993. "International RandD Spillovers," IMF Working Papers 93/84, International Monetary Fund.
- Alfaro, Laura & Hammel, Eliza, 2007. "Capital flows and capital goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 128-150, May.
- Alexandra Spitz-Oener, 2006. "Technical Change, Job Tasks, and Rising Educational Demands: Looking outside the Wage Structure," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 235-270, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfg:cfigwp:13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Miklós Koren)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Miklós Koren to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.