Determinants and projections of demand for higher education in Portugal
This paper formulates a model of demand for higher education in Portugal considering a wide range of demographic, economic, social and institutional explanatory variables. The estimation results suggest that the number of applicants reacts positively to demographic trends, graduation rates at secondary education, female participation, compulsory schooling and the recent Bologna process. Demand reacts negatively to the existence of tuition fees and to unemployment rates. Within an adverse demographic and economic context, forecasts of demand for the next two decades suggest the need to increase participation rates, to avoid funding problems in the higher education system and increase long-term economic development prospects.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (351) 266 740 869
Web page: http://www.cefage.uevora.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carla Sa & Raymond Florax & Piet Rietveld, 2004. "Determinants of the Regional Demand for Higher Education in The Netherlands: A Gravity Model Approach," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(4), pages 375-392.
- Blaug, Mark, 1976. "The Empirical Status of Human Capital Theory: A Slightly Jaundiced Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 827-55, September.
- Duchesne, I. & Nonneman, W., 1998. "The Demand for Higher Education in Belgium," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 211-218, April.
- Boarini, Romina & Strauss, Hubert & de la Maisonneuve, Christine & Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Oliveira Martins, Joaquim, 2008. "Investment in Tertiary Education : Main Determinants and Implications for Policy," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7987, Paris Dauphine University.
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Miguel Portela & Fernando Alexandre & Carla Sá, 2007.
"Demand for higher education programs: the impact of the Bologna process,"
NIPE Working Papers
4/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Ana Rute Cardoso, 2008. "Demand for Higher Education Programs: The Impact of the Bologna Process," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 54(2), pages 229-247, June.
- Fernando Alexandre & Ana Rute Cardoso & Miguel Portela & Carla Sá, 2007. "Demand for Higher Education Programs: The Impact of the Bologna Process," CESifo Working Paper Series 2081, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Portela, Miguel & Sá, Carla & Alexandre, Fernando, 2006. "Demand for Higher Education Programs: The Impact of the Bologna Process," IZA Discussion Papers 2532, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:ese:iserwp:2008-16 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Lucifora, Claudio, 2008.
"The "Bologna Process" and College Enrolment Decisions,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3444, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Lucifora, Claudio, 2009. "The "Bologna Process" and college enrollment decisions," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 638-647, December.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Claudio Lucifora, 2008. "The "Bologna Process" and College Enrolment Decisions," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia dell'Impresa e del Lavoro ieil0051, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Christofides, Louis N. & Hoy, Michael & Yang, Ling, 2010. "Participation in Canadian Universities: The gender imbalance (1977-2005)," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 400-410, June.
- Christofides, Louis N. & Hoy, Michael & Yang, Ling, 2008.
"The Determinants of University Participation in Canada (1977−2003),"
IZA Discussion Papers
3805, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Louis N. Christofides & Michael Hoy & Ling Yang, 2008. "The Determinants of University Participation in Canada (1977-2003)," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 4-2008, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Galper, Harvey & Dunn, Robert M, Jr, 1969. "A Short-Run Demand Function for Higher Education in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(5), pages 765-77, Sept./Oct.
- Wetzel, James & O'Toole, Dennis & Peterson, Steven, 1998. "An Analysis of Student Enrollment Demand," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 47-54, February.
- Christou, Costas & Haliassos, Michael, 2006. "How do students finance human capital accumulation?: The choice between borrowing and work," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 39-51, January.
- McPherson, Michael S & Schapiro, Morton Owen, 1991. "Does Student Aid Affect College Enrollment? New Evidence on a Persistent Controversy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 309-18, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfe:wpcefa:2011_15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.