Student based funding in higher education systems with declining and uncertain enrolments: the Portuguese case
Higher education systems have generally been adapting to increasing demand, higher quality requirements and severe financial constraints. In Portugal, where public funding critically depends on the new enrolments, the short term uncertainties of declining applications exacerbate systemic long term underfunding certainties. Unfavourable demographics explain most, but not all, recent negative trends in demand for higher education. In such uncertain context strategic planning is difficult, and predicting new enrolments, and thus the volume of public funds, became a new and major challenge for universities. This paper proposes an empirical analysis of demand's main determinants, allowing a more precise picture of future enrolments and funding.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Colégio Espírito SANTO|
Phone: (351) 266 740 869
Web page: http://www.cefage.uevora.pt
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Lucifora, Claudio, 2009.
"The "Bologna Process" and college enrollment decisions,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 638-647, December.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Claudio Lucifora, 2008. "The "Bologna Process" and College Enrolment Decisions," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia dell'Impresa e del Lavoro ieil0051, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Lucifora, Claudio, 2008. "The "Bologna Process" and College Enrolment Decisions," IZA Discussion Papers 3444, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Lucifora, Claudio, 2008. "The 'Bologna process' and College enrolment decisions," ISER Working Paper Series 2008-16, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Winship C. Fuller & Charles F. Manski & David A. Wise, 1982. "New Evidence on the Economic Determinants of Postsecondary Schooling Choices," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 17(4), pages 477-498.
- Hertz Tom & Jayasundera Tamara & Piraino Patrizio & Selcuk Sibel & Smith Nicole & Verashchagina Alina, 2008. "The Inheritance of Educational Inequality: International Comparisons and Fifty-Year Trends," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-48, January.
- Tom Hertz & Tamara Jayasundera & Patrizio Piraino & Sibel Selcuk & Nicole Smith & Alina Verashchagina, 2007. "The Inheritance of Educational Inequality: International Comparisons and Fifty-Year Trends," Working Papers 2007-013, American University, Department of Economics.
- Brian A. Jacob, 2002. "Where the boys aren't: Non-cognitive skills, returns to school and the gender gap in higher education," NBER Working Papers 8964, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Louis N. Christofides & Michael Hoy & Ling Yang, 2008. "The Gender Imbalance in Participation in Canadian Universities (1977-2005)," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 5-2008, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Louis Christofides & Michael Hoy & Ling Yang, 2009. "The Gender Imbalance in Participation in Canadian Universities (1977-2005)," CESifo Working Paper Series 2791, CESifo Group Munich.
- Duchesne, I. & Nonneman, W., 1998. "The Demand for Higher Education in Belgium," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 211-218, April.
- Jacob, Brian A., 2002. "Where the boys aren't: non-cognitive skills, returns to school and the gender gap in higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 589-598, December.
- Hung-Lin Tao, 2006. "The Demand for Higher Education and a Test of the Extreme Screening Hypothesis," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 75-88.
- Galper, Harvey & Dunn, Robert M, Jr, 1969. "A Short-Run Demand Function for Higher Education in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(5), pages 765-777, Sept./Oct.
- McPherson, Michael S & Schapiro, Morton Owen, 1991. "Does Student Aid Affect College Enrollment? New Evidence on a Persistent Controversy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 309-318, March.
- Louis N. Christofides & Michael Hoy & Ling Yang, 2006. "The Determinants of University Participation," Working Papers 0608, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Erik Canton & Frank de Jong, 2002. "The demand for higher education in the Netherlands 1950-'99," CPB Discussion Paper 12, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfe:wpcefa:2009_02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.