Towards Evidence-based Reform of European Universities
After the Bologna agreement and the Lisbon Agenda, reform of European university systems has been higher on the political agenda. This is necessary, since most European universities have been suffering from stifling blankets of government regulation, having to make do with much less funds than their North-American counterparts and do not appear high on the various rankings of top universities in the world. Furthermore, the booming economies of China and India will nurture and boost world-class universities in the coming decades. Also, universities are essential in their links to business and society to make the European economy more innovative and competitive, especially as European industries approach the world technology frontier. We argue on the basis of the stylized facts that foremost European universities need more autonomy to select students, reward staff, design new programmes, attract more funds and compete better in an increasingly tough environment. Although the general principles of the policy reform agenda are clear, the details are not. The link between governance, funding and performance is not obvious and needs still further data and research. We conclude that reform of European universities should much more be based on the best available empirical analysis. (JEL code: I23) Copyright , Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 54 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: https://academic.oup.com/cesifo
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:cesifo:v:54:y:2008:i:2:p:277-312. is not listed on IDEAS
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Cassiman, Bruno, 2005.
"R&D cooperation between firms and universities. Some empirical evidence from Belgian manufacturing,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 355-379, June.
- Cassiman, Bruno & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2003. "R&D Cooperation Between Firms and Universities: Some Empirical Evidence from Belgian Manufacturing," CEPR Discussion Papers 3951, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/7987 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rebecca Henderson & Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 1998.
"Universities As A Source Of Commercial Technology: A Detailed Analysis Of University Patenting, 1965-1988,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 80(1), pages 119-127, February.
- Henderson, R. & Jaffe, A.B.: Tratenberg, M., 1995. "Universities as a Source of Commercial Technology: A Detailed Analysis of University Patenting 1965-1988," Papers 09-95, Tel Aviv.
- Rebecca Henderson & Adam Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 1995. "Universities as a Source of Commercial Technology: A Detailed Analysis of University Patenting 1965-1988," NBER Working Papers 5068, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Romina Boarini, 2008. "Investment in Tertiary Education: Main Determinants and Implications for Policy," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 54(2), pages 277-312, June.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992. "A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-437.
- Philippe Aghion, 2006. "A primer on innovation and growth," Policy Briefs 233, Bruegel.
- repec:oup:cesifo:v:54:y:2008:i:2:p:204-228. is not listed on IDEAS
- Stijn Kelchtermans, 2008. "Regulation of Program Supply in Higher Education: Lessons from a Funding System Reform in Flanders," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 54(2), pages 204-228, June.
- Elena Arias & Catherine Dehon, 2008.
"What are the factors of success at university? a case study in Belgium,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/13348, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Elena Arias & Catherine Dehon, 2008. "What are the factors of success at university? A case study in Belgium," Working Papers ECARES 2008_003, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Siegel, Donald S. & Westhead, Paul & Wright, Mike, 2003. "Assessing the impact of university science parks on research productivity: exploratory firm-level evidence from the United Kingdom," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 1357-1369, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:cesifo:v:54:y:2008:i:2:p:99-120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.