Technology Adoption in French Agriculture and the Role of Financial Constraints
Successive CAP reforms have increased the exposure of European agriculture to market forces. As a result, farmers have become preoccupied with their competitiveness and have progressively adopted best practices. However, these longrun technological adjustments could be slowed down by eventual short-run financial constraints. This contribution measures the role of these financial constraints on the catching-up component of total factor productivity for a panel of French farmers in Nord-Pas-de-Calais region during 1994-2001. For TFP estimates based on nonparametric distance functions, the second stage econometric results indicate that the technological adaptation is significantly conditioned by financial constraints.
|Date of creation:||15 Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www2.dijon.inra.fr/cesaer
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Aude Ridier & Florence Jacquet, 2002. "Decoupling Direct Payments and the Dynamics of Decisions under Price Risk in Cattle Farms," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 549-565.
- Nazrul Islam, 2001. "Different Approaches to International Comparison of Total Factor Productivity," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 465-508 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Islam, Nazrul, 1999. "International Comparison of Total Factor Productivity: A Review," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 45(4), pages 493-518, December.
- Carlos Arnade & Munisamy Gopinath, 2000. "Financial constraints and output targets in Russian agricultural production," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 71-84.
- Nazrul Islam, 2003. "What have We Learnt from the Convergence Debate?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 309-362, 07.
- Vincent Chatellier & Laurence Ulmann & François Colson, 1995. "Réforme de la PAC et répartition des paiements directs aux exploitations agricoles," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 227(1), pages 11-20.
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003.
"Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005. "Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, 01.
- Barry, Peter J. & Robison, Lindon J., 2001. "Agricultural finance: Credit, credit constraints, and consequences," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 513-571 Elsevier.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2006.
"Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 351-364.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2005. "Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions," Working Papers 2005-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Petrick, Martin, 2003.
"Empirical measurement of credit rationing in agriculture: a methodological survey,"
IAMO Discussion Papers
45, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Martin Petrick, 2005. "Empirical measurement of credit rationing in agriculture: a methodological survey," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(2), pages 191-203, 09.
- L Gutierrez, 2000. "Convergence in US and EU agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 187-206, June.
- Catherine Benjamin & Euan Phimister, 2002. "Does Capital Market Structure Affect Farm Investment? A Comparison using French and British Farm-Level Panel Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1115-1129.
- V. Eldon Ball & Charles Hallahan & Richard Nehring, 2004. "Convergence of Productivity: An Analysis of the Catch-up Hypothesis within a Panel of States," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1315-1321.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Henri-Bertrand Lefer & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Guillermo Flichman & Jean-Marc Boussard & Florence Jacquet, 1997. "Les effets de la réforme de la Pac sur les exploitations de grande culture," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 239(1), pages 20-29.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Lovell, C A Knox, 1983. " The Structure of Technical Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 181-90.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ceo:wpaper:19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corinne DASEN)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.