Financial constraints and output targets in Russian agricultural production
Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, Russian agricultural production has experienced a significant decline. The rise in input prices relative to output prices and the lack of legal mechanisms to provide land as a collateral for loans suggest the existence of expenditure constraints. We test for expenditure constraints and prevalence of output-targeting as sources of inefficiency in addition to actual inefficiencies in 73 Russian farm regions (oblasts). Only six oblasts are overall efficient and the rest experienced profit losses from all three sources of inefficiency of up to 35.8 per cent. We find that 54 oblasts are subject to expenditure constraints, while output-targeting is still practised by 14 oblasts. Our results suggest that one-seventh of the overall inefficiency, and thus profit losses, is due to both financial constraints and output-targeting. Copyright © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 12 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mehdian, S. & Herr, Wm. McD. & Eberle, Phil & Grabowski, Richard, 1988. "Toward an Appraisal of the FMHA Farm Credit Program: A Case Study of the Efficiency of Borrowers in Southern Illinois," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 93-100, December.
- Gregory Paul R. & Mokhtari Manouchehr, 1993. "State Grain Purchases, Relative Prices, and the Soviet Grain Procurement Crisis," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 182-194, April.
- Mehdian, Seyed & Herr, William McDaniel & Eberle, Phillip R. & Grabowski, Richard, 1988. "Toward An Appraisal Of The Fmha Farm Credit Program: A Case Study Of The Efficiency Of Borrowers In Southern Illinois," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(02), December.