New Globalization: Risks and Opportunities for Thailand in the Next Decade
The ongoing globalization process via the reduction and removal of obstacles to international trade and investment and international labor movement has come to an important inflection point due to the global Credit Crisis in 2008-2009. The Credit Crisis left G4 economies considerably weaker in light of the massive fiscal debt, fragile banking sector balance sheets, as well as the nearly maxed-out space for macroeconomic policies. Meanwhile, despite initial setbacks, EM Asia seemed to poise for robust growth going forward and is expected to become the second engine of global growth after the US. In the next decade, EM Asia growth will likely be driven by the prospects of its own regional demand from burgeoning middle class as a result of fast transition from the primary sector to higher-paying manufacturing and service sectors. Additionally, supply side factors will provide significant support for EM Asia growth going forward through the improvement in TFP from intensifying regional production network and frugal innovation, as well as the rise in capital accumulation from greater infrastructure investment and intra-regional FDI. However, for the real sector growth to achieve its full potential, more effective financing that is efficient and inclusive will be needed. The resiliency of the financial system will also be a key factor that must be monitored closely and enhanced to ensure the sustainability of economic growth.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 273 Samsen Road, Bangkhunprom, Bangkok|
Phone: (662) 283-5353
Fax: (662) 280-0449
Web page: http://www.bot.or.th/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2014.
"This Time is Different: A Panoramic View of Eight Centuries of Financial Crises,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 1065-1188, November.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008. "This Time is Different: A Panoramic View of Eight Centuries of Financial Crises," CEMA Working Papers 595, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008. "This Time is Different: A Panoramic View of Eight Centuries of Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 13882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2008. "What Is Middle Class about the Middle Classes around the World?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(2), pages 3-28, Spring.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Duflo, Esther, 2007. "What is Middle Class about the Middle Classes Around the World?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6613, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Esther Duflo & Abhijit Banerjee, 2008. "What is Middle Class About the Middle Classes Around the World?," Working Papers id:1363, eSocialSciences.
- Eswar S. Prasad, 2011. "Rebalancing Growth in Asia," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 27-66, 04.
- Prasad, Eswar, 2009. "Rebalancing Growth in Asia," IZA Discussion Papers 4298, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eswar S. Prasad, 2009. "Rebalancing Growth in Asia," NBER Working Papers 15169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jamie Hall & Andrew Stone, 2010. "Demography and Growth," RBA Bulletin, Reserve Bank of Australia, pages 15-23, June.
- William R. Cline & John Williamson, 2010. "Estimates of Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rates, May 2010," Policy Briefs PB10-15, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Elod Takats, 2010. "Ageing and asset prices," BIS Working Papers 318, Bank for International Settlements.
- Suresh Sundaresan, 2006. "Developing multiple layers of financial intermediation: the complementary roles of corporate bond markets and banks," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Developing corporate bond markets in Asia, volume 26, pages 24-30 Bank for International Settlements.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan & Sasidaran Gopalan, 2009. "Sales to Foreign Banks in Emerging Asia," ifo DICE Report, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 7(3), pages 29-33, October.
- Beck, Thorsten & Levine, Ross, 2002. "Industry growth and capital allocation:*1: does having a market- or bank-based system matter?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 147-180, May.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine, 2002. "Industry Growth and Capital Allocation: Does Having a Market- or Bank-Based System Matter?," NBER Working Papers 8982, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert W. Fogel, 2006. "Why China is Likely to Achieve its Growth Objectives," NBER Working Papers 12122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "Inflows of Capital to Developing Countries in the 1990s," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 123-139, Spring.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1996. "Inflows of capital to developing countries in the 1990s," MPRA Paper 13707, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Morck, Randall & Deniz Yavuz, M. & Yeung, Bernard, 2011. "Banking system control, capital allocation, and economy performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 264-283, May.
- Randall Morck & M. Deniz Yavuz & Bernard Yeung, 2009. "Banking System Control, Capital Allocation, and Economy Performance," NBER Working Papers 15575, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wurgler, Jeffrey, 2000. "Financial markets and the allocation of capital," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 187-214.
- Jeffrey Wurgler, 1999. "Financial Markets And The Allocation Of Capital," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm123, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Mar 2001.
- Kendall, Jake & Mylenko, Nataliya & Ponce, Alejandro, 2010. "Measuring financial access around the world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5253, The World Bank.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1997. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds, and The Real Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 663-691.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1994. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector," Working papers 95-1, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Holmström, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1994. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector," IDEI Working Papers 40, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- D. Gale Johnson, 2000. "Agricultural Adjustment in China: Problems and Prospects," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 26(2), pages 319-334.
- Manmohan S. Kumar & Emanuele Baldacci, 2010. "Fiscal Deficits, Public Debt, and Sovereign Bond Yields," IMF Working Papers 10/184, International Monetary Fund.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1996. "The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1994. "The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality," Working Papers 94-24, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1994. "The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality," NBER Working Papers 4789, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Gilchrist & Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1994. "The financial accelerator and the flight to quality," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-18, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Madhusudan Mohanty & Philip Turner, 2010. "Banks and financial intermediation in emerging Asia: reforms and new risks," BIS Working Papers 313, Bank for International Settlements.
- Ewe-Ghee Lim, 2006. "The Euro’s Challenge to the Dollar; Different Views from Economists and Evidence from COFER (Currency Composition of Foreign Exchange Reserves) and Other Data," IMF Working Papers 06/153, International Monetary Fund.
- H. M. Boot, 1999. "Real incomes of the British middle class, 1760-1850: the experience of clerks at the East India Company," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 52(4), pages 638-668, November.
- Robert N McCauley & Yung-Chul Park, 2006. "Developing the bond market(s) of East Asia: global, regional or national?," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Asian bond markets: issues and prospects, volume 30, pages 19-39 Bank for International Settlements.
- Gopalan, Sasidaran & Rajan, Ramkishen. S, 2009. "Financial sector de-regulation in Emerging Asia: Focus on foreign bank entry," MPRA Paper 19592, University Library of Munich, Germany. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bth:wpaper:2010-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pornpinun Chantapacdepong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.