Credit availability in the crisis: which role for the European Investment Bank Group?
In this paper we consider a moral hazard problem between a creditworthy firm which needs funding and a bank. We first study under which conditions the firm does not obtain the loan. We then determine whether and how the intervention of an external financial institution can facilitate the access to credit. In particular, we focus on the European Investment Bank Group (EIBG), which provides (i) specific credit lines to help banks that finance small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)and (ii) guarantees for portfolios of SMEs'loans. We show that only during crises the EIBG intervention allows to totally overcome the credit crunch.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Townsend, 1979.
"Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification,"
45, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Townsend, Robert M., 1979. "Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 265-293, October.
- A. Fedele & A. Mantovani, 2004.
"Complementarity, Coordination and Credit,"
502, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Alessandro Fedele & Andrea Mantovani, 2008. "Complementarity, Coordination, and Credit," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 164(2), pages 230-253, June.
- Arping, Stefan & Lóránth, Gyöngyi & Morrison, Alan D., 2010. "Public initiatives to support entrepreneurs: Credit guarantees versus co-funding," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 26-35, April.
- Martin Meier & Enrico Minelli & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2014.
"Competitive markets with private information on both sides,"
Springer, vol. 55(2), pages 257-280, February.
- Martin Meier & Enrico Minelli & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2009. "Competitive Markets with Private Information on Both Sides," Working Papers 0917, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Border, Kim C & Sobel, Joel, 1987. "Samurai Accountant: A Theory of Auditing and Plunder," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 525-40, October.
- Cheng Wang & Stephen D. Williamson, 1998. "Debt Contracts with Financial Intermediation with Costly Screening," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(3), pages 573-595, August.
- Wang, Cheng & Williamson, Steve, 1998. "Debt Contracts and Financial Intermediation with Costly Screening," Staff General Research Papers 5086, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- F. Forges, 2010.
"An Approach to Communication Equilibrium,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
516, David K. Levine.
- FORGES, Françoise, . "An approach to communication equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP -721, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Forges, F., 1984. "An approach to communication equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers 1984035, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jeffrey Lacker, 2001.
"Online Appendix to Collateralized Debt as the Optimal Contract,"
lacker01, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Stiglitz, Joseph, 2000. "Credit and equity rationing in markets with adverse selection," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 281-304, February.
- Innes, Robert, 1991. "Investment and government intervention in credit markets when there is asymmetric information," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 347-381, December.
- Karel Janda, 2008. "Which Government Interventions Are Good in Alleviating Credit Market Failures?," Working Papers IES 2008/12, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Jul 2008.
- Robert Hauswald & Robert Marquez, 2006. "Competition and Strategic Information Acquisition in Credit Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(3), pages 967-1000.
- Edda Zoli & Silvia Sgherri, 2009. "Euro Area Sovereign Risk During the Crisis," IMF Working Papers 09/222, International Monetary Fund.
- Alessandra Del Boca & Michele Fratianni & Franco Spinelli & Carmine Trecroci, 2008.
"The Phillips Curve and the Italian Lira, 1861-1998,"
2008-05, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Del Boca, Alessandra & Fratianni, Michele & Spinelli, Franco & Trecroci, Carmine, 2010. "The Phillips curve and the Italian lira, 1861-1998," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 182-197, August.
- Alessandra Del Boca & Michele Fratianni & Franco Spinelli & Carmine Trecroci, 2009. "The Phillips curve and the Italian lira, 1861-1998," Working Papers 0908, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Alessandra Del Boca & Michele Fratianni & Franco Spinelli & Carmine Trecroci, 2008. "The Phillips Curve and the Italian Lira, 1861-1998," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 8, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Kay Mitusch & Roland Strausz, . "Mediators and Mechanism Design: Why Firms Hire Consultants," Papers 005, Departmental Working Papers.
- Jeffrey M. Lacker, 1998.
"Collateralized debt as the optimal contract,"
98-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Chiara Dalle Nogare & Matteo Galizzi, 2011.
"The political economy of cultural spending: evidence from Italian cities,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 203-231, August.
- Chiara Dalle Nogare & Matteo M Galizzi, 2008. "The Political Economy of Cultural Spending: Evidence from Italian Cities," Working Papers 0818, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- de Meza, David & Webb, David C, 1987. "Too Much Investment: A Problem of Asymmetric Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 281-92, May.
- Williamson, Stephen D., 1986.
"Costly monitoring, financial intermediation, and equilibrium credit rationing,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 159-179, September.
- Stephen D. Williamson, 1984. "Costly Monitoring, Financial Intermediation, and Equilibrium Credit Rationing," Working Papers 583, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Stephen D. Williamson, 1994.
"Do informational frictions justify federal credit programs?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 523-551.
- Williamson, Stephen D, 1994. "Do Informational Frictions Justify Federal Credit Programs?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 523-44, August.
- Laura Levaggi & Rosella Levaggi, 2007. "Regulation Strategies for Public Service Provision," Working Papers 0707, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Stefan Krasa & Anne P. Villamil, 2000. "Optimal Contracts when Enforcement Is a Decision Variable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 119-134, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:699. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luca Miselli to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.