Unemployment in Greece: evidence from Greek regions
The purpose of the paper is to examine the nature of Greek unemployment allowing for cross-sectional dependence among Greek regions and for the presence of structural breaks. The paper contributes to the literature assessing the stochastic properties of Greek regional unemployment rates using recently developed and more powerful panel unit-root tests, such as the Lagrange Multiplier (LM) panel unit root test of Im et al. (2010), that allow for level and trend breaks, heterogeneity and cross-sectional dependence in the panel. The results show that in all cases, after taking into account the fact that regional unemployment rates in Greece are subject to a structural break both in mean and the slope of the series, the null hypothesis of a unit root is not rejected, indicating that the Greek regional unemployment series are non-stationary with the presence of a structural break.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karlsson, Sune & Löthgren, Mickael, 1999.
"On the power and interpretation of panel unit root tests,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
299, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Karlsson, Sune & Lothgren, Mickael, 2000. "On the power and interpretation of panel unit root tests," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 249-255, March.
- MOON, Hyungsik Roger & PERRON, Benoit., 2002.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Panels with Dynamic Factors,"
Cahiers de recherche
2002-18, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Moon, H.R.Hyungsik Roger & Perron, Benoit, 2004. "Testing for a unit root in panels with dynamic factors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 81-126, September.
- Hyungsik Roger MOON & Benoit PERRON, 2002. "Testing For A Unit Root In Panels With Dynamic Factors," Cahiers de recherche 18-2002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Christophe Hurlin, 2007.
"What would Nelson and Plosser find had they used panel unit root tests?,"
- Christophe Hurlin, 2010. "What would Nelson and Plosser find had they used panel unit root tests?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(12), pages 1515-1531.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Aninday Banerjee & Markus Eberhardt & J James Reade, 2010.
"Panel Estimation for Worriers,"
10-33, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dimitri G Demekas & Zenon Kontolemis, 1996. "Unemployment in Greece; A Survey of the Issues," IMF Working Papers 96/91, .
- McAdam, Peter & León-Ledesma, Miguel A., 2003.
"Unemployment, hysteresis and transition,"
Working Paper Series
0234, European Central Bank.
- Georges Bresson & Badi H. Baltagi & Alain Pirotte, 2007.
"Panel unit root tests and spatial dependence,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 339-360.
- Baltagi B-H & Bresson G. & Pirotte A., 2005. "Panel Unit Root Tests and Spatial Dependence," Working Papers ERMES 0503, ERMES, University Paris 2.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Georges Bresson & Alain Pirotte, 2006. "Panel Unit Root Tests and Spatial Dependence," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 88, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Matteo Lanzafame, "undated".
"The Nature of Regional Unemployment in Italy,"
Regional and Urban Modeling
- Roed, Knut, 1997. " Hysteresis in Unemployment," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 389-418, December.
- Hadri, Kaddour & Kurozumi, Eiji, 2008.
"A Simple Panel Stationarity Test in the Presence of Cross-Sectional Dependence,"
CCES Discussion Paper Series
7, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kaddour Hadri & Eiji Kurozumi, 2009. "A Simple Panel Stationarity Test in the Presence of Cross-Sectional Dependence," Economics Working Papers 09-01, Queen's Management School, Queen's University Belfast.
- Kaddour Hadri & Eiji Kurozumi, 2008. "A Simple Panel Stationarity Test in the Presence of Cross-Sectional Dependence," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd08-016, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Leon-Ledesma, Miguel A, 2002. "Unemployment Hysteresis in the US States and the EU: A Panel Approach," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 95-103, April.
- Apergis, Nicholas, 2005. "An estimation of the natural rate of unemployment in Greece," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 91-99, February.
- Vasilis Sarafidis & Tom Wansbeek, 2012.
"Cross-Sectional Dependence in Panel Data Analysis,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 483-531, September.
- Margarita Katsimi, 2000. "Stochastic shifts in the natural rate of unemployment: evidence from Greece," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 239-242.
- Christian Dreger & Hans-Eggert Reimers, 2009. "Hysteresis in the development of unemployment: the EU and US experience," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 11(4), pages 267-276, December.
- Roed, Knut, 1996. "Unemployment Hysteresis--Macro Evidence from 16 OECD Countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 589-600.
- Dimitris K. Christopoulos, 2007. "Unemployment hysteresis in EU countries: what do we really know about it?," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 80-89, May.
- Theodore Mitrakos & Daphne Nicolitsas, 2006. "Long-term Unemployment in Greece: developments, incidence and composition," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 27, pages 7-41, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bog:wpaper:146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.