Unemployment in Greece: evidence from Greek regions
The purpose of the paper is to examine the nature of Greek unemployment allowing for cross-sectional dependence among Greek regions and for the presence of structural breaks. The paper contributes to the literature assessing the stochastic properties of Greek regional unemployment rates using recently developed and more powerful panel unit-root tests, such as the Lagrange Multiplier (LM) panel unit root test of Im et al. (2010), that allow for level and trend breaks, heterogeneity and cross-sectional dependence in the panel. The results show that in all cases, after taking into account the fact that regional unemployment rates in Greece are subject to a structural break both in mean and the slope of the series, the null hypothesis of a unit root is not rejected, indicating that the Greek regional unemployment series are non-stationary with the presence of a structural break.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roed, Knut, 1996. "Unemployment Hysteresis--Macro Evidence from 16 OECD Countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 589-600.
- Matteo Lanzafame, 2006.
"The Nature of Regional Unemployment in Italy,"
Studies in Economics
0607, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Hyungsik Roger MOON & Benoit PERRON, 2002.
"Testing For A Unit Root In Panels With Dynamic Factors,"
Cahiers de recherche
18-2002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Moon, H.R.Hyungsik Roger & Perron, Benoit, 2004. "Testing for a unit root in panels with dynamic factors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 81-126, September.
- MOON, Hyungsik Roger & PERRON, Benoit., 2002. "Testing for a Unit Root in Panels with Dynamic Factors," Cahiers de recherche 2002-18, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Markus Eberhardt & Anindya Banerjee and J. James Reade, 2010.
"Panel Estimation for Worriers,"
Economics Series Working Papers
514, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Sarafidis, Vasilis & Wansbeek, Tom, 2010.
"Cross-sectional Dependence in Panel Data Analysis,"
20367, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Miguel A. León-Ledesma & Peter McAdam, 2004.
"Unemployment, Hysteresis And Transition,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 51(3), pages 377-401, 08.
- Leon-Ledesma, Miguel & Peter McAdam, 2003. "Unemployment, Hysterisis and Transition," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 137, Royal Economic Society.
- McAdam, Peter & León-Ledesma, Miguel A., 2003. "Unemployment, hysteresis and transition," Working Paper Series 0234, European Central Bank.
- Christophe Hurlin, 2010. "What would Nelson and Plosser find had they used panel unit root tests?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(12), pages 1515-1531.
- Dimitri G. Demekas & Zenon Kontolemis G., 1996. "Unemployment in Greece; A Survey of the Issues," IMF Working Papers 96/91, International Monetary Fund.
- Christian Dreger & Hans-Eggert Reimers, 2009. "Hysteresis in the development of unemployment: the EU and US experience," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 267-276, December.
- Margarita Katsimi, 2000. "Stochastic shifts in the natural rate of unemployment: evidence from Greece," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 239-242.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Georges Bresson & Alain Pirotte, 2006.
"Panel Unit Root Tests and Spatial Dependence,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
88, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Karlsson, Sune & Lothgren, Mickael, 2000.
"On the power and interpretation of panel unit root tests,"
Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 249-255, March.
- Karlsson, Sune & Löthgren, Mickael, 1999. "On the power and interpretation of panel unit root tests," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 299, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Christophe Hurlin, 2007. "What would Nelson and Plosser find had they used panel unit root tests?," Working Papers halshs-00156685, HAL.
- Kaddour Hadri & Eiji Kurozumi, 2008.
"A Simple Panel Stationarity Test in the Presence of Cross-Sectional Dependence,"
Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
gd08-016, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Hadri, Kaddour & Kurozumi, Eiji, 2008. "A Simple Panel Stationarity Test in the Presence of Cross-Sectional Dependence," CCES Discussion Paper Series 7, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Theodore Mitrakos & Daphne Nicolitsas, 2006. "Long-term Unemployment in Greece: developments, incidence and composition," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 27, pages 7-41, July.
- Dimitris K. Christopoulos & Miguel A. León-Ledesma, 2007. "Unemployment hysteresis in EU countries: what do we really know about it?," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 80-89, May.
- Leon-Ledesma, Miguel A, 2002. "Unemployment Hysteresis in the US States and the EU: A Panel Approach," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 95-103, April.
- Apergis, Nicholas, 2005. "An estimation of the natural rate of unemployment in Greece," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 91-99, February.
- Roed, Knut, 1997. " Hysteresis in Unemployment," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 389-418, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bog:wpaper:146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.