Measuring the underground economy with the currency demand approach: a reinterpretation of the methodology, with an application to Italy
We contribute to the debate on how to assess the size of the underground or shadow economy with a reinterpretation of the traditional Currency Demand Approach (CDA) ï¿½ la Tanzi. We introduce three main innovations. First, we take as dependent variable in the money demand equation a direct measure of the value of cash transactions: the flow of cash withdrawn from current accounts relative to total non-cash payments. This avoids use of the Fisher equation and so overcomes two severe criticisms of the traditional CDA. Second, instead of the tax burden, usually taken as the main motive for non-compliance, we include among the covariates two direct indicators of detected tax evasion. Finally, we also control for the role of illegal economic activity, such as drug dealing and prostitution, which ï¿½ jointly with the shadow economy ï¿½ contributes to the larger aggregate of the unobserved economy and represents a significant component of total cash payments. We then propose an application of this ï¿½modified CDAï¿½ to a panel of 91 Italian provinces for the years 2005-2008.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alvarez, Fernando & Lippi, Francesco, 2007.
"Financial Innovation and the Transactions Demand for Cash,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6472, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fernando Alvarez & Francesco Lippi, 2009. "Financial Innovation and the Transactions Demand for Cash," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(2), pages 363-402, 03.
- Fernando E. Alvarez & Francesco Lippi, 2007. "Financial Innovation and the Transactions Demand for Cash," NBER Working Papers 13416, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fernando Alvarez & Francesco Lippi, 2007. "Financial Innovation and the Transactions Demand for Cash," EIEF Working Papers Series 0807, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2007.
- Pickhardt, Michael & Sarda, Jordi, 2010.
"The size of the underground economy in Germany: A correction of the record and new evidence from the Modified-Cash-Deposit-Ratio approach,"
CAWM Discussion Papers
- Michael Pickhardt & Jordi Sarda, 2011. "The size of the underground economy in Germany: a correction of the record and new evidence from the modified-cash-deposit-ratio approach," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 143-163, August.
- Pickhardt, Michael & Sardà Pons, Jordi, 2010. "The size of the underground economy in Germany: A correction of the record and new evidence from the Modified-Cash-deposit-Ratio approach," Working Papers 2072/148479, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Michael Pickhardt & Jordi Sarda, . "The size of the underground economy in Germany: A correction of the record and new evidence from the Modified-Cash-Deposit-Ratio approach," Working Papers 201036, Institute of Spatial and Housing Economics, Munster Universitary.
- Maurizio Bovi & Laura Castellucci, 2001. "Cosa sappiamo dell'economia sommersa in Italia al di là dei luoghi comuni? Alcune proposizioni empiricamente fondate," ECONOMIA PUBBLICA, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2001(6).
- Chiarini Bruno & Marzano Elisabetta, 2004.
"Dimensione e dinamica dell'economia sommersa: un approfondimento del "currency demand approach","
Politica economica - Journal of Economic Policy (PEJEP),
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 303-334.
- Bruno Chiarini & Elisabetta Marzano, 2004. "Dimensione E Dinamica Dell'Economia Sommersa: Un Approfondimento Del Currency Demand Approach," Working Papers 4_2004, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Malte Krueger & Charles Goodhart, 2001.
"The Impact of Technology on Cash Usage,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp374, Financial Markets Group.
- J. Ferwerda & I. Deleanu & B. Unger, 2010. "Revaluating the Tanzi-Model to Estimate the Underground Economy," Working Papers 10-04, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Matthias Drehmann & Charles Goodhart, 2000. "Is Cash Becoming Technologically Outmoded Or Does it Remain Necessary to Facilitate," FMG Discussion Papers dp358, Financial Markets Group.
- Lippi, Francesco & Secchi, Alessandro, 2006.
"Technological change and the demand for currency: An analysis with household data,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6023, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Lippi & Alessandro Secchi, 2008. "Technological change and the demand for currency: An analysis with household data," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 697, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Guerino Ardizzi & Carmelo Petraglia & Massimiliano Piacenza & Gilberto Turati, 2013. "L’economia non osservata fra evasione e crimine: una rivisitazione del Currency Demand Approach con una applicazione al contesto italiano," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 1, pages 229-269, January-M.
- Roberta Zizza, 2002. "Metodologie di stima dellï¿½economia sommersa: unï¿½applicazione al caso italiano," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 463, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Benno Torgler, 2003. "Tax Morale and Institutions," CREMA Working Paper Series 2003-09, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:wptemi:td_864_12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.