In Google we trust?
In a micro-founded model, we derive novel incentives for a monopoly search engine to distort its organic and its sponsored results on searches for online content and offline products. Distorting organic results towards content publishers with less effective display advertising and/or distorting sponsored results towards higher margin merchants (by underweighting consumer relevance in search auctions) increase per capita revenues but lower participation. The interplay of these incentives determines search bias and welfare. We also characterize how the welfare consequences of integration into display advertising, as intermediary or publisher, depend on asymmetries, monopolization and targeting.
|Date of creation:||27 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:||12 Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 08193, Bellaterra, Barcelona|
Phone: 34 93 592 1203
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://pareto.uab.cat
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrei Hagiu & Bruno Jullien, 2011. "Why do intermediaries divert search?," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 42(2), pages 337-362, 06.
- Greg Taylor, 2013. "Search Quality and Revenue Cannibalization by Competing Search Engines," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 445-467, 09.
- Susan Athey & Glenn Ellison, 2009.
"Position Auctions with Consumer Search,"
NBER Working Papers
15253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Armstrong & Jidong Zhou, 2011.
"Paying for Prominence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(556), pages F368-F395, November.
- Varian, Hal R., 2007. "Position auctions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1163-1178, December.
- Michael R. Baye & John Morgan, 2001. "Information Gatekeepers on the Internet and the Competitiveness of Homogeneous Product Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 454-474, June.
- Argenton, C. & Prüfer, J., 2012. "Search engine competition with network externalities," Other publications TiSEM c76d07b9-7d86-42c4-9b47-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Larbi Alaoui & Fabrizio Germano, 2012.
"Time scarcity and the market for news,"
Economics Working Papers
1348, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 2014.
- Susan Athey & Emilio Calvano & Joshua Gans, 2013. "The Impact of the Internet on Advertising Markets for News Media," NBER Working Papers 19419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tarantino, Emanuele, 2013. "A simple model of vertical search engines foreclosure," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-12.
- Alexandre Cornière & Greg Taylor, 2014.
"Integration and search engine bias,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 45(3), pages 576-597, 09.
- Kenneth C. Wilbur, 2008. "A Two-Sided, Empirical Model of Television Advertising and Viewing Markets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(3), pages 356-378, 05-06.
- White, Alexander, 2013. "Search engines: Left side quality versus right side profits," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 690-701.
- Thomas Blake & Chris Nosko & Steven Tadelis, 2015.
"Consumer Heterogeneity and Paid Search Effectiveness: A Large‐Scale Field Experiment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 83, pages 155-174, 01.
- Tom Blake & Chris Nosko & Steven Tadelis, 2014. "Consumer Heterogeneity and Paid Search Effectiveness: A Large Scale Field Experiment," NBER Working Papers 20171, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jay Pil Choi & Byung-Cheol Kim, 2008.
"Net Neutrality and Investment Incentives,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2390, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jay Pil Choi & Byung-Cheol Kim, 2008. "Net Neutrality and Investment Incentives," Working Papers 08-03, NET Institute.
- Choi, Jay & Kim, Byung-Cheol, 2008. "Net Neutrality and Investment Incentives," Working Paper Series 4010, Victoria University of Wellington, The New Zealand Institute for the Study of Competition and Regulation.
- Kfir Eliaz & Ran Spiegler, 2011. "A Simple Model of Search Engine Pricing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(556), pages F329-F339, November.
- Sha Yang & Anindya Ghose, 2010. "Analyzing the Relationship Between Organic and Sponsored Search Advertising: Positive, Negative, or Zero Interdependence?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(4), pages 602-623, 07-08.
- Yongmin Chen & Chuan He, 2006.
"Paid Placement: Advertising and Search on the Internet,"
06-02, NET Institute, revised Sep 2006.
- Yongmin Chen & Chuan He, 2011. "Paid Placement: Advertising and Search on the Internet," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(556), pages F309-F328, November.
- Etro, Federico, 2013. "Advertising and search engines. A model of leadership in search advertising," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 25-38.
- Attila Ambrus & Emilio Calvano & Markus Reisinger, 2014.
"Either or Both Competition: A "Two-sided" Theory of Advertising with Overlapping Viewerships,"
CSEF Working Papers
378, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Reisinger, Markus & Ambrus, Attila & Calvano, Emilio, 2013. "Either or Both Competition: A "Two-Sided" Theory of Advertising with Overlapping Viewerships," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79912, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Benjamin Edelman & Michael Ostrovsky & Michael Schwarz, 2005.
"Internet Advertising and the Generalized Second Price Auction: Selling Billions of Dollars Worth of Keywords,"
NBER Working Papers
11765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benjamin Edelman & Michael Ostrovsky & Michael Schwarz, 2007. "Internet Advertising and the Generalized Second-Price Auction: Selling Billions of Dollars Worth of Keywords," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 242-259, March.
- Matthew Ellman & Fabrizio Germano, 2009. "What do the Papers Sell? A Model of Advertising and Media Bias," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 680-704, 04.
- Avi Goldfarb & Catherine Tucker, 2011. "Search Engine Advertising: Channel Substitution When Pricing Ads to Context," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(3), pages 458-470, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aub:autbar:935.13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xavier Vila)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.