Right-to-Choose Auctions: A Field Study of Water Markets in the Limari Valley of Chile
Field experiments were conducted with farmers in the Limarí Valley of Chile to test extant theory on right-to-choose auctions. Water volumes that differed by reservoir source and time of availability were offered for sale by the research team. The auctions were supplemented by protocols to elicit risk and time preferences of bidders. We find that the right-to-choose auctions raise significantly more revenue than the benchmark sequential auction. Risk attitudes explain a substantial amount of the difference in bidding between auction institutions, consonant with received theory. The auction bidding revealed distinct preferences for water types, which has implications for market re-design.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cbpp.uaa.alaska.edu/CBPPHome/DepartmentsandMajors/Economics.aspx|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashenfelter, O. & Genesove, D., 1992.
"Testing for Price Anomalies in real Estate Auctions,"
128, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Genesove, David, 1992. "Testing for Price Anomalies in Real-Estate Auctions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 501-05, May.
- Orley Ashenfelter & David Genesove, 1992. "Testing for Price Anomalies in Real Estate Auctions," NBER Working Papers 4036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ashenfelter, O. & Genesove, D., 1992. "Testing for Price Anomalies in Real Estate Auctions," Working papers 92-2, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- E. Elisabet RutstrÃm, 1998. "Home-grown values and incentive compatible auction design," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 427-441.
- List, John A. & Rasul, Imran, 2011.
"Field Experiments in Labor Economics,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
- Dickinson, David L. & Bailey, DeeVon, 2002.
"Meat Traceability: Are U.S. Consumers Willing To Pay For It?,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Dickinson, David L. & Bailey, DeeVon, 2002. "Meat Traceability: Are U. S. Consumers Willing To Pay For It?," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19670, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- David Dickinson & DeeVon Bailey, 2002. "Meat Traceability: Are U.S. Consumers Willing To Pay For It?," Working Papers 2002-07, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- David Dickinson & DeeVon Bailey, 2001. "Meat traceability: are U.S. consumers willing to pay for it?," Working Papers 2001-14, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Daniel, M. Scott & Mark, Darrell R. & Lusk, Christine L., 2001.
"Alternative Calibration And Auction Institutions For Predicting Consumer Willingess To Pay For Nongenetically Modified Corn Chips,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Daniel, M. Scott & Mark, Darrell R. & Lusk, Christine L., 2000. "Alternative Calibration And Auction Institutions For Predicting Consumer Willingness-To-Pay For Non-Genetically Modified Corn Chips," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36424, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Alvin E. Roth, 2002. "The Economist as Engineer: Game Theory, Experimentation, and Computation as Tools for Design Economics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1341-1378, July.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, June.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, June.
- Hearne, R.R. & Easter, K.W., 1995. "Water Allocation and Water Markets. An Analysis of Gains-from-Trade in Chile," Papers 315, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- John List, 2006.
"Field experiments: A bridge between lab and naturally occurring data,"
Artefactual Field Experiments
00083, The Field Experiments Website.
- List John A., 2007. "Field Experiments: A Bridge between Lab and Naturally Occurring Data," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-47, April.
- John A. List, 2007. "Field Experiments: A Bridge Between Lab and Naturally-Occurring Data," NBER Working Papers 12992, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacob K. Goeree & Charles R. Plott & John Wooders, 2004.
"Bidders' Choice Auctions: Raising Revenues Through the Right to Choose,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(2-3), pages 504-515, 04/05.
- Goeree, Jacob & Plott, Charles & Wooders, John, 2003. "Bidders' choice auctions: Raising revenues through the right to choose," Working Papers 1181, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Glenn W. Harrison & John A. List, 2004.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1009-1055, December.
- Glenn W. Harrison & Morten I. Lau & E. Elisabet Rutström, 2007.
"Estimating Risk Attitudes in Denmark: A Field Experiment,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 109(2), pages 341-368, 06.
- Elisabet Rutstrom & Glenn Harrison & Morten Lau, 2004. "Estimating risk attitudes in denmark: A field experiment," Artefactual Field Experiments 00059, The Field Experiments Website.
- Steffen Andersen & Glenn W. Harrison & Morten I. Lau & E. Elisabet Rutström, 2008. "Eliciting Risk and Time Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(3), pages 583-618, 05.
- Deacue Fields & Walt Prevatt, 2008. "An Incentive Compatible Conjoint Ranking Mechanism," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 487-498.
- Charles Noussair & StÈphane Robin & Bernard Ruffieux, 2004. "Do Consumers Really Refuse To Buy Genetically Modified Food?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(492), pages 102-120, 01.
- Ronald G. Cummings & Charles A. Holt & Susan K. Laury, 2004. "Using laboratory experiments for policymaking: An example from the Georgia irrigation reduction auction," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 341-363.
- Glenn W. Harrison & Ronald M. Harstad & E. Elisabet Rutstr–m, 2004.
"Experimental Methods and Elicitation of Values,"
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 123-140, 06.
- Eliaz, Kfir & Offerman, Theo & Schotter, Andrew, 2008. "Creating competition out of thin air: An experimental study of right-to-choose auctions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 383-416, March.
- Charles A. Holt & Susan K. Laury, 2002. "Risk Aversion and Incentive Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1644-1655, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ala:wpaper:2010-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jonathan Alevy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.