Meat traceability: are U.S. consumers willing to pay for it?
This article reports the results from a series of laboratory auction markets in which consumers bid on meat characteristics. The characteristics examined include meat traceability (i.e., the ability to trace the retail meat back to the farm or animal or origin), transparency (e.g., knowing that the meat was produced without growth hormones, or nowing the animal was humanely treated), and extra assurances (e.g., extra meat safety assurances). This laboratory study provides non-hypothetical bid data on U.S. consumer preferences for traceability, transparency, and assurances (TTA) in red meat at a time when the U.S. currently lags other countries in development of TTA meat systems. Our results suggest that U.S. consumers would be willing to pay for such TTA meat characteristics, and the magnitude of the consumer bids suggest a likely profitable market for development of U.S. TTA systems.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://apec.usu.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Fox, John A., 2002. "Consumer Demand For Mandatory Labeling Of Beef From Cattle Administered Growth Hormones Or Fed Genetically Modified Corn," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(01), April.
- Grannis, Jennifer L. & Hooker, Neal H. & Thilmany, Dawn D., 2000. "Consumer Preference For Specific Attributes In Natural Beef Products," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36406, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Margolis, Michael & Koo, Cannon & List, John A., 2001. "A random nth-price auction," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 409-421, December.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Shin, Seung Youll & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 1994.
"Resolving Differences in Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept,"
Staff General Research Papers
701, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Seung Y. Shin & Dermot J. Hayes & James B. Kliebenstein, 1994. "Resolving Differences in Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 255-70, March.
- Liddell, Sterling & Bailey, DeeVon, 2001.
"Market Opportunities And Threats To The U.S. Pork Industry Posed By Traceability Systems,"
International Food and Agribusiness Management Review,
International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(03).
- Sterling Liddell & DeeVon Bailey, . "Market opportunities and threats to the U.S. pork industry posed by traceability systems," Working Papers 2001-06, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Fox, John A. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 1994. "Bid Sensitivity in the Structure of the Vickrey Auction," Staff General Research Papers 10616, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Parkhurst, Gregory M. & McIntosh, Christopher, 2006. "Second-price auction tournament," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 99-107, July.
- Jason F. Shogren & John A. Fox, 1996. "Consumer Preferences for Fresh Food Items with Multiple Quality Attributes: Evidence from an Experimental Auction of Pork Chops," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 916-923.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Fox, John A. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Roosen, Jutta, 1999.
"Observed Choices For Food Safety in Retail, Survey and Auction Markets,"
Staff General Research Papers
5024, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jason F. Shogren & John A. Fox & Dermot J. Hayes & Jutta Roosen, 1999. "Observed Choices for Food Safety in Retail, Survey, and Auction Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1192-1199.
- Jack Knetsch & Fang-Fang Tang & Richard Thaler, 2001. "The Endowment Effect and Repeated Market Trials: Is the Vickrey Auction Demand Revealing?," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 257-269, December.
- Latouche, K. & Rainelli, P. & Vermersch, D., 1998. "Food safety issues and the BSE scare: some lessons from the French case," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 347-356, October.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Shogren, Jason F. & Shin, Seung Youll & Kliebenstein, James, 1995. "Valuing Food Safety in Experimental Auction Markets," Staff General Research Papers 835, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usu:wpaper:2001-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Gilbert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.