More Trust Instead of More Vertical Integration in the German Pork Production? Empirical Evidence and Theoretical Considerations
It is often hypothesized that contracts and vertical integration are paramount for the future competitiveness of meat supply chains. In this paper we review empirical evidence and theoretical reflections underlying this argumentation. We confront the contract and integration hypothesis with transaction cost considerations taking into account current technological and institutional developments and results from a survey in German pig production. It is concluded that more trust and commitment in non-contractual long-term relationships may be a viable alternative to stricter vertical coordination in meat supply chains.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Bogetoft & Henrik Ballebye Olesen, 2002. "Ten rules of thumb in contract design: lessons from Danish agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(2), pages 185-204, June.
- M. den Ouden & Aalt A. Dijkhuizen & Ruud B.M. Huirne & Peter J.P. Zuurbier, 1996. "Vertical cooperation in agricultural production-marketing chains, with special reference to product differentiation in pork," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 277-290.
- Peterson, H. Christopher & Wysocki, Allen F. & Harsh, Stephen B., 2001.
"Strategic Choice Along The Vertical Coordination Continuum,"
International Food and Agribusiness Management Review,
International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(02).
- Peterson, H. Christopher & Wysocki, Allen F., 1998. "Strategic Choice Along The Vertical Coordination Continuum," Staff Papers 11651, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Brian Roe & Thomas L. Sporleder & Betsy Belleville, 2004. "Hog Producer Preferences for Marketing Contract Attributes," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 115-123.
- Martinez, Stephen W., 2002. "Vertical Coordination Of Marketing Systems: Lessons From The Poultry, Egg, And Pork Industries," Agricultural Economics Reports 34051, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae99:7756. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.