Opportunity Costs of Providing Crop Diversity in Organic and Conventional Farming: Would Targeted Environmental Policies Make Economic Sense?
Targeted environmental policies for farmlands may improve the cost-efficiency of conservation programs if one can identify the farms that produce public goods, or environmental outputs, with the least cost. We derive shadow values of producing crop diversity on conventional and organic crop farms to examine their opportunity costs of conservation. Non-parametric distance functions are estimated by applying data envelopment analysis to a sample of Finnish crop farms for the period 1994 – 2002. Our results show that there is variation in the shadow values between farms and the technologies adopted. The extent of cost heterogeneity and farms’ potential for specialization in the production of environmental outputs determine whether voluntary programs such as auctions for conservation payments are economically reasonable.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.orgEmail: |
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feng, Hongli, 2007.
"Green payments and dual policy goals,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 323-335, November.
- Hongli Feng, 2007. "Green Payments and Dual Policy Goals," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 02-wp304, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Feng, Hongli, 2007. "Green Payments and Dual Policy Goals," Staff General Research Papers 2108, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Armsworth, Paul R. & Kendall, Bruce E. & Davis, Frank W., 2004. "An introduction to biodiversity concepts for environmental economists," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 115-136, June.
- Isabelle Piot-lepetit & Monique Le Moing, 2007.
"Productivity and environmental regulation: the effect of the nitrates directive in the French pig sector,"
13564, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Isabelle Piot-Lepetit & Monique Moing, 2007. "Productivity and environmental regulation: the effect of the nitrates directive in the French pig sector," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 38(4), pages 433-446, December.
- Timo Kuosmanen, 2008. "Representation theorem for convex nonparametric least squares," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(2), pages 308-325, 07.
- G. A. A. Wossink, 2003. "Biodiversity conservation by farmers: analysis of actual and contingent participation," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 461-485, December.
- Salvatore Di Falco & Charles Perrings, 2004.
"Crop Biodiversity, Risk Management and the Implications of Agricultural Assistance,"
0084, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2004.
- Di Falco, Salvatore & Perrings, Charles, 2005. "Crop biodiversity, risk management and the implications of agricultural assistance," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 459-466, December.
- Scheel, Holger, 2001. "Undesirable outputs in efficiency valuations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 400-410, July.
- Uwe Latacz-Lohmann & Carel Van der Hamsvoort, 1997. "Auctioning Conservation Contracts: A Theoretical Analysis and an Application," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 407-418.
- Dyson, R. G. & Allen, R. & Camanho, A. S. & Podinovski, V. V. & Sarrico, C. S. & Shale, E. A., 2001. "Pitfalls and protocols in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 245-259, July.
- Thilo W. Glebe, 2008. "Scoring two-dimensional bids: how cost-effective are agri-environmental auctions?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(2), pages 143-165, June.
- van Wenum, J. H. & Wossink, G. A. A. & Renkema, J. A., 2004.
"Location-specific modeling for optimizing wildlife management on crop farms,"
Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 395-407, April.
- van Wenum, Jaap & Wossink, Ada & Renkema, Jan, 2002. "Location-Specific Modeling For Optimizing Wildlife Management On Crop Farms," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19705, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Christopher T. Bastian & Dale J. Menkhaus & Amy M. Nagler & Nicole S. Ballenger, 2008. "Ex Ante Evaluation of Alternative Agricultural Policies in Laboratory Posted Bid Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1208-1215.
- Sheriff, Glenn, 2009. "Implementing second-best environmental policy under adverse selection," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 253-268, May.
- Ruben N. Lubowski & Michael J. Roberts, 2005. "How Cost-Effective Are Land Retirement Auctions? Estimating the Difference between Payments and Willingness to Accept in the Conservation Reserve Program," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1239-1247.
- Isabelle Piot-Lepetit & Dominique Vermersch, 1998. "Pricing Organic Nitrogen Under The Weak Disposability Assumption: An Application to the French Pig Sector," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 85-99.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Kevin Fox & Robert Hill & W. Diewert, 2004. "Identifying Outliers in Multi-Output Models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 73-94, July.
- Pacini, Cesare & Giesen, G.W.J. & Vazzana, V. & Wossink, Ada, 2002. "Sustainability of Organic, Integrated and Conventional Farming Systems in Tuscany," 13th Congress, Wageningen, The Netherlands, July 7-12, 2002 6956, International Farm Management Association.
- Rolf F�re & Shawna Grosskopf, 1998. "Shadow Pricing of Good and Bad Commodities," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 584-590.
- Wilson, Paul W, 1993. "Detecting Outliers in Deterministic Nonparametric Frontier Models with Multiple Outputs," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(3), pages 319-23, July.
- Anni Huhtala & Per-Olov Marklund, 2008. "Stringency of environmental targets in animal agriculture: shedding light on policy with shadow prices," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(2), pages 193-217, June.
- Alfons Oude Lansink & Ky–sti Pietola, 2002. "Effciency and productivity of conventional and organic farms in Finland 1994--1997," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 51-66, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae11:114527. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.