Location-Specific Modeling For Optimizing Wildlife Management On Crop Farms
In order to guide conservation and restoration of wildlife in agricultural areas research is needed into the trade-off between wildlife and agricultural production and income. This study presents a location specific model for optimizing wildlife management on crop farms using the integer programming technique. Available data and indicators of wildlife production are presented. Furthermore, time and location aspects of wildlife management are discussed. The model is applied to crop farming in the Netherlands. Most important model outcome is a wildlife-cost frontier at the farm level. Model outcomes show that rotating wildlife conservation practices across the farm is economically more attractive than fixed-location practices. Opportunities for use of the insights provided by model results by both policy makers and farmers are analyzed.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Solow Andrew & Polasky Stephen & Broadus James, 1993. "On the Measurement of Biological Diversity," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 60-68, January.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1992.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 363-405.
- Weitzman, M.L., 1991. "On Diversity," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1553, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Anastasia Lintner & Alfons Weersink, 1999. "Endogenous Transport Coefficients: Implications for Improving Water Quality from Multi-Contaminants in an Agricultural Watershed," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 14(2), pages 269-296, September.
- Hayri Önal, 2003. "Preservation of Species and Genetic Diversity," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 437-447.
- Eiswerth, Mark E. & Haney, J. Christopher, 2001. "Maximizing conserved biodiversity: why ecosystem indicators and thresholds matter," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 259-274, August.
- Lueck, Dean & Michael, Jeffrey A, 2003. "Preemptive Habitat Destruction under the Endangered Species Act," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(1), pages 27-60, April.
- Andrew Moxey & Ben White, 1994. "Efficient Compliance With Agricultural Nitrate Pollution Standards," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 27-37.
- Turner, R. Kerry & van den Bergh, Jeroen C. J. M. & Soderqvist, Tore & Barendregt, Aat & van der Straaten, Jan & Maltby, Edward & van Ierland, Ekko C., 2000. "Ecological-economic analysis of wetlands: scientific integration for management and policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 7-23, October.
- John B. Braden & Gary V. Johnson & Aziz Bouzaher & David Miltz, 1989. "Optimal Spatial Management of Agricultural Pollution," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 71(2), pages 404-413.
- Weitzman, M.L., 1992. "Diversity Functions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1610, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Yang, Wanhong & Khanna, Madhu & Farnsworth, Richard & Onal, Hayri, 2003. "Integrating economic, environmental and GIS modeling to target cost effective land retirement in multiple watersheds," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 249-267, September.
- Walpole, S. C. & Sinden, J. A., 1997. "BCA and GIS: integration of economic and environmental indicators to aid land management decisions," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 45-57, October.
- van Wenum, Jaap & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Wossink, Ada, 1999. "Farm Heterogeneity In Wildlife Production," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21521, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)