U.S. Consumers' Willingness to Pay for Labeling Information on Genetically Modified Foods: An Application of Choice Modeling
This study analyzes U.S. consumers' valuation of five types of genetically modified food labels on a cornflakes cereal product. Using a nationwide survey and choice-modeling framework, results indicate that consumers value the label "contains no genetically modified corn" the most with a mean willingness to pay of 20 more cents, followed by "USDA approved genetically modified corn" with a mean willingness to pay of 9 more cents, and "corn genetically modified to reduce pesticide residues in your food" with a mean willingness to pay of 7 more cents. Results also suggest that consumers negatively value the labels "contains genetically modified corn" with a mean willingness to pay of 13 less cents and "may contain genetically modified corn" with a mean willingness to pay of 2 less cents.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huffman Wallace E. & Rousu Matthew & Shogren Jason F & Tegene Abebayehu, 2004.
"Consumer's Resistance to Genetically Modified Foods: The Role of Information in an Uncertain Environment,"
Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-15, May.
- Huffman, Wallace E. & Rousu, M.C. & Shogren, Jason F. & Tegene, Abebayehu, 2004. "Consumers' Resistance to Genetically Modified Foods: The Role of Information in an Uncertain Environment," Staff General Research Papers 12339, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521788304 is not listed on IDEAS
- Murray Fulton & Konstantinos Giannakas, 2004. "Inserting GM Products into the Food Chain: The Market and Welfare Effects of Different Labeling and Regulatory Regimes," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 42-60.
- Hallman, William K. & Hebden, W. Carl & Cuite, Cara L. & Aquino, Helen L. & Lang, John T., 2004. "Americans And Gm Food: Knowledge, Opinion And Interest In 2004," Working Papers 18175, Rutgers University, Food Policy Institute.
- Li Quan & McCluskey Jill J & Wahl Thomas I., 2004. "Effects of Information on Consumers' Willingness to Pay for GM-Corn-Fed Beef," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-18, May.
- Roosen, Jutta & Lusk, Jayson L. & Fox, John A., 2001.
"Consumer Demand For And Attitudes Toward Alternative Beef Labeling Strategies In France, Germany, And The Uk,"
2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL
20643, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jutta Roosen & Jayson L. Lusk & John A. Fox, 2003. "Consumer demand for and attitudes toward alternative beef labeling strategies in France, Germany, and the UK," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 77-90.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Frykblom, Peter & Lagerkvist, Carl-Johan, 2004.
"Consumer benefits of labels and bans on genetically modified food - An empirical analysis using Choice Experiments,"
Working Papers in Economics
129, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Frykblom, Peter & Lagerkvist, Carl Johan, 2004. "Consumer benefits of labels and bans on genetically modified food - An empirical analysis using Choice Experiments," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20370, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Hine, Susan, 2004. "Preferences and willingness to pay for GM labeling policies," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 467-483, October.
- McCluskey, Jill J. & Loureiro, Maria L., 2003. "Consumer Preferences And Willingness To Pay For Food Labeling: A Discussion Of Empirical Studies," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 34(03), November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea05:19490. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.