Evaluation and reliability of the organic certification system: perceptions by farmers in Latin America
In recent years, organic agriculture has developed rapidly, and organic certification systems are now used worldwide. However, if these standards are unable to meet their promises, their reliability will be called into question and trust in organic products will fade. As major suppliers of organic food to the European market, it is crucial for Latin American farmers to show their customers that the standards they have implemented are actually delivering what they promise. Considering the manifold resources that are being poured into these systems, it seems reasonable to critically review their reliability. A central indicator for the reliability of the system is the overall evaluation of organic certification. Therefore, it is the objective to analyse the relationship of both constructs. Findings show that most farmers are satisfied with the organic certification system and believe in its reliability; however, they fear the costs of bureaucracy and documentation. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment.
Volume (Year): 17 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1719|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jatib, Ines, 2003. "Food Safety And Quality Assurance Key Drivers Of Competitiveness," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 6(01).
- M. A. Adams & A. E. Ghaly, 2007. "Determining barriers to sustainability within the Costa Rican coffee industry," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 229-241.
- Hassan Fouayzi & Julie A. Caswell & Neal H. Hooker, 2006. "Motivations of Fresh-Cut Produce Firms to Implement Quality Management Systems," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 28(1), pages 132-146.
- Walter J. V. Vermeulen & P. J. Ras, 2006. "The challenge of greening global product chains: meeting both ends," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 245-256.
- Batte, Marvin T. & Hooker, Neal H. & Haab, Timothy C. & Beaverson, Jeremy, 2007.
"Putting their money where their mouths are: Consumer willingness to pay for multi-ingredient, processed organic food products,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 145-159, April.
- Batte, Marvin T. & Hooker, Neal H. & Haab, Timothy C. & Beaverson, Jeremy, 2006. "Putting Their Money Where Their Mouths Are: Consumer Willingness to Pay for Multi-Ingredient, Processed Organic Food Products," Working Papers 204879, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- Anders, Sven M. & Souza Monteiro, Diogo M. & Rouviere, Elodie, 2007. "Objectiveness in the Market for Third-Party Certification: Does market structure matter?," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7894, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Anania, Giovanni & Nistico, Rosanna, 2003.
"Public Regulation As A Substitute For Trust In Quality Food Markets. What If The Trust Substitute Cannot Be Fully Trusted?,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25924, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Giovanni Anania & Rosanna Nisticò, 2004. "Public Regulation as a Substitute for Trust in Quality Food Markets: What if the Trust Substitute cannot be Fully Trusted?," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 160(4), pages 681-, December.
- A. Maes & G. Poels & F. Gailly & R. Paemeleire, 2005. "Measuring User Beliefs and Attitudes towards Conceptual Models: A Factor and Structural Equation Model," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 05/311, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Schulze, Holger & Albersmeier, Friederike & Gawron, Jana-Christina & Spiller, Achim & Theuvsen, Ludwig, 2008. "Heterogeneity in the Evaluation of Quality Assurance Systems: The International Food Standard (IFS) in European Agribusiness," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 11(3).
- Garcia Martinez, Marian & Banados, Felipe, 2004. "Impact of EU organic product certification legislation on Chile organic exports," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Gabriele Jahn & Matthias Schramm & Achim Spiller, 2005. "The Reliability of Certification: Quality Labels as a Consumer Policy Tool," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 53-73, December.
- Hanson, James C. & Dismukes, Robert & Chambers, William & Greene, Catherine R. & Kremen, Amy, 2003. "Risk And Risk Management In Organic Agriculture: View Of Organic Farmers," Working Papers 28551, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- McCluskey, Jill J., 1999.
"A Game Theoretic Approach to Organic Foods: An Analysis of Asymmetric Information and Policy,"
2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia
123706, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- McCluskey, Jill J., 2000. "A Game Theoretic Approach To Organic Foods: An Analysis Of Asymmetric Information And Policy," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(1), April.
- Artur Pawłowski, 2008. "How many dimensions does sustainable development have?," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 81-90.
- Barrett, H. R. & Browne, A. W. & Harris, P. J. C. & Cadoret, K., 2002. "Organic certification and the UK market: organic imports from developing countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 301-318, August.
- Frey, Bruno S & Jegen, Reto, 2001. " Motivation Crowding Theory," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(5), pages 589-611, December.
- Kleinwechter, Ulrich & Grethe, Harald, 2006. "The adoption of the Eurepgap Standard by Mango Exporters in Piura, Peru," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25521, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Meuwissen, Miranda P.M. & Velthuis, Annet G.J. & Hogeveen, Henk & Huirne, Ruud B.M., 2003. "Traceability And Certification In Meat Supply Chains," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 21(2).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:sustdv:v:17:y:2009:i:5:p:311-324. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.