Measuring the effectiveness of U.S. rice export promotion programs
Three issues are examined relating to U.S. rice export promotion. First, the responsiveness of U.S. rice export demand with respect to U.S. rice export promotion is measured to determine the quantity impacts of these programs. Second, the overall effectiveness of the programs is examined in terms of whether the benefits exceed the cost. Finally, the optimality of U.S. rice export promotion in terms of expenditure levels is investigated. A double logarithmic econometric export demand equation is estimated to compute the export promotion elasticity while controlling for other demand determinants such as own price, the export price of competing countries, incomes, and exchange rates. Average benefit-cost ratios are computed for U.S. rice export promotion based on a range of excess supply own-price elasticities to compute the effectiveness of the programs. Finally, a marginal simulation analysis is conducted to explore the optimality of the investment in rice export promotion. [JEL Codes: Q17, Q18, Q13]. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmit, Todd M. & Kaiser, Harry M., 1998. "Egg Advertising, Dietary Cholesterol Concerns, And U.S. Consumer Demand," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 27(1), April.
- Fuller, Stephen W. & Bello, Haruna & Capps, Oral, Jr., 1992. "Import Demands For U.S. Fresh Grapefruit: Effect Of U.S. Promotion Programs And Trade Policies Of Importing Nations," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M., 1998.
"Dynamic Complementarity In Export Promotion: The Market Access Program In Fruits And Vegetables,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M., 1998. "Dynamic Complementarity In Export Promotion: The Market Access Program In Fruits And Vegetables," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20851, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Harry M. Kaiser & Donald J. Liu & Ted Consignado, 2003. "An economic analysis of California raisin export promotion," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 189-201.
- Cong Tru Le & Harry M. Kaiser & William Tomek, 1998. "Export promotion and import demand for US red meat in selected Pacific Rim countries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 95-105.
- Le, Cong Tru & Kaiser, Harry M. & Tomek, William G., 1997. "Export Promotion and Import Demand for U.8. Red Meat in Selected Pacific Rim Countries," Research Bulletins 122808, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Pritchett, James G. & Liu, Donald J. & Kaiser, Harry M., 1998. "Optimal Choice Of Generic Milk Advertising Expenditures By Media Outlet," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
- H. Solomon & Henry W. Kinnucan, 1993. "Effects Of Non‐Price Export Promotion: Some Evidence For Cotton," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 37(1), pages 1-15, 04.
- Solomon, H. & Kinnucan, Henry W., 1993. "Effects Of Non-Price Export Promotion: Some Evidence For Cotton," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 37(01), April.
- Bernard K. Armah & James E. Epperson, 1997. "Export demand for US orange juice: Impacts of US export promotion programs," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 1-10.
- C. P. Rosson & M. D. Hammig & J. W. Jones, 1986. "Foreign market promotion programs: An analysis of promotion response for apples, poultry, and tobacco," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 33-42.
- Comeau, Allison & Mittelhammer, Ronald C. & Wahl, Thomas I., 1997. "Assessing The Effectiveness Of Mpp And Tea Advertising And Promotion Efforts In The Japanese Market For Meats," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 28(2), July.
- Halliburton, Karen & Henneberry, Shida Rastegari, 1995. "The Effectiveness Of U.S. Nonprice Promotion Of Almonds In The Pacific Rim," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- I.M. Onunkwo & J.E. Epperson, 2000. "Export demand for U.S. pecans: Impacts of U.S. export promotion programs," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 253-265.
- D. Kent Lanclos & Stephen Devadoss & Joseph Guenthner, 1997. "Impacts of foreign direct investment and advertising on the export demand for US frozen potatoes," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 273-284.
- Lanclos, D. Kent & Devadoss, Stephen & Guenthner, Joseph F., 1997. "Impacts of Foreign Investment and Advertising on the Export Demand for U.S. Frozen Potatoes," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35757, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Alston, Julian M. & Chalfant, James A. & Christian, Jason E. & Meng, Erika C.H. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1997. "The California Table Grape Commission's Promotion Program: An Evaluation," Monographs, University of California, Davis, Giannini Foundation, number 11932.
- Henry W. Kinnucan & Øystein Myrland, 2001. "A note on measuring returns to nonprice export promotion," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 423-433. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:25:y:2009:i:2:p:215-230. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.