Dynamic Complementarity In Export Promotion: The Market Access Program In Fruits And Vegetables
Government-supported promotion in foreign markets may justified when market failures exist, such as spillover externalities, where promotion of one commodity positively influences exports of another, or when market uncertainties cause planning horizons to be shorter than the persistent effects of promotion. A dynamic model of U.S. apple, almond, grape, and wine export supply is developed to test for these market failures. Promotion is viewed as an investment in establishing and maintaining a productÂ’'s image. Evidence supporting the existence of each market failure is found. Exporters and program administrators may fail to account for them in export promotion planning.
Volume (Year): 23 (1998)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davis, George C. & Jensen, Kimberly L., 1994. "Two-Stage Utility Maximization And Import Demand Systems Revisited: Limitations And An Alternative," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Howard, Wayne H. & Shumway, C. Richard, 1989. "Nonrobustness Of Dynamic Dual Models Of The U.S. Dairy Industry," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 18(1), April.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Clinton R. Shiells, 1996.
"Bias in U.S. Import Prices and Demand,"
in: The Economics of New Goods, pages 249-276
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stefanou, Spiro E, et al, 1992. "Dynamic Structure of Production under a Quota: The Case of Milk Production in the Federal Republic of Germany," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 19(3), pages 283-99.
- Lawrence, Denis, 1990. "An adjustment-costs model of export supply and import demand," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 381-398, December.
- Stigler, George J & Becker, Gary S, 1977. "De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 76-90, March.
- C. P. Rosson & M. D. Hammig & J. W. Jones, 1986. "Foreign market promotion programs: An analysis of promotion response for apples, poultry, and tobacco," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 33-42.
- Alston, Julian M. & Chalfant, James A. & Christian, Jason E. & Meng, Erika C.H. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1997. "The California Table Grape Commission's Promotion Program: An Evaluation," Monographs, University of California, Davis, Giannini Foundation, number 11932.
- Vasavada, Utpal & Ball, V. Eldon, 1988.
"A Dynamic Adjustment Model for U.S. Agriculture: 1948-79,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 2(2), October.
- Vasavada, Utpal & Ball, V. Eldon, 1988. "A dynamic adjustment model for U.S. agriculture: 1948-79," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 123-137, October.
- George C. Davis, 1997. "Product Aggregation Bias as a Specification Error in Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 100-109.
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1994. "New Product Varieties and the Measurement of International Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 157-77, March.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Fisher, Lawrence, 1982. "The Derived Demand for Advertising: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 366-88, June.
- Weersink, Alfons & Howard, Wayne H., 1990. "Regional Adjustment Response In The U.S. Dairy Sector To Changes In Milk Support Price," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(01), July.
- Comeau, Allison & Mittelhammer, Ronald C. & Wahl, Thomas I., 1997. "Assessing The Effectiveness Of Mpp And Tea Advertising And Promotion Efforts In The Japanese Market For Meats," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 28(2), July.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1997. "Structural Change, Capital Investment and Productivity in the Food Processing Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 110-125.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:31198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.