Export Demand For U.S. Pecans: Impacts Of U.S. Export Promotion
The purpose of this study was to estimate the impact of the major factors affecting the export demand for U.S. pecans in Asia and the E.U. which together import about 27% of U.S. pecan exports. The primary objective was to estimate the impacts of federal promotion programs on the foreign demand for U.S. pecans. Based on previous literature, a single- equation framework was specified for estimation of the pecan model. Based on promotion elasticities, impacts on pecan export revenue from promotion were evaluated. The returns per dollar of promotion expenditure for pecans were $6.45 for Asia and $6.75 for the E.U. Further, some spillover benefits for pecan exports were detected from almond export promotion in Asia and walnut export promotion in the E.U. It appears that the U.S. pecan industry can benefit substantially from increased export promotion in both Asia and the E.U.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. P. Rosson & M. D. Hammig & J. W. Jones, 1986. "Foreign market promotion programs: An analysis of promotion response for apples, poultry, and tobacco," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 33-42.
- Onunkwo, Izuchukwu M. & Epperson, James E., 2000. "Export Demand For U.S. Walnuts: Impacts Of U.S. Export Promotion Programs," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 31(03), pages -, November.
- Thursby, Jerry G & Thursby, Marie C, 1984. "How Reliable Are Simple, Single Equation Specifications of Import Demand?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(1), pages 120-128, February.
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Christian, Jason E., 1997. "A Method For Measuring Returns To Nonprice Export Promotion With Application To Almonds," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), pages -, July.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1975.
"International Trade Prices and Price Proxies,"
in: The Role of the Computer in Economic and Social Research in Latin America, pages 253-268
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy J. Richards & Pieter. Van Ispelen & Albert Kagan, 1997. "A Two-Stage Analysis of the Effectiveness of Promotion Programs for U.S. Apples," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 825-837.
- Comeau, Allison & Mittelhammer, Ronald C. & Wahl, Thomas I., 1997. "Assessing The Effectiveness Of Mpp And Tea Advertising And Promotion Efforts In The Japanese Market For Meats," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 28(2), pages -, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea99:21686. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.