Dynamic input demand functions and resource adjustment for US agriculture: state evidence
The paper presents an econometric model of dynamic agricultural input demand functions that includes research based technical change and autoregressive disturbances and fits the model to data for a set of state aggregates pooled over 1950-82. The methodological approach is one of developing a theoretical foundation for a dynamic input demand system and accepting state aggregate behavior as approximated by nonlinear adjustment costs and long-term profit maximization. Although other studies have largely ignored autocorrelation in dynamic input demand systems, the results show shorter adjustment lags with autocorrelation than without autocorrelation. Dynamic input demand own-price elasticities for six input groups are inelastic, and the demand functions poses significant cross-price and research stock effects.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spencer, David E., 1979. "Estimation of a dynamic system of seemingly unrelated regressions with autoregressive disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 227-241, June.
- Dhrymes, Phoebus J & Taylor, John B, 1976. "On an Efficient Two-Step Estimator for Dynamic Simultaneous Equations Models with Autoregressive Errors," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(2), pages 362-76, June.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Lopez, Ramon E., 1984. "A General, Dynamic, Supply-Response Model," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 13(2), October.
- Tegene, Abebayehu & Huffman, Wallace & Miranowski, John, 1988. "An Econometric Model of Dynamic and Stochastic Production with Explicit Optimization: Farmers' Decisions on Corn and Soybean Acreage," Staff General Research Papers 10984, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman, Wallace E. & Evenson, Robert E., 1994. "The Development of U.S. Agricultural Research and Education: An Economic Perspective," Staff General Research Papers 10998, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Jorgenson, Dale W., 1979. "Statistical inference for a system of simultaneous, non-linear, implicit equations in the context of instrumental variable estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2-3), pages 275-302.
- Friesen, J. & Capalbo, S. & Denny, M., 1992.
"Dynamic factor demand equations in U.S. and Canadian agriculture,"
Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 251-266, February.
- Friesen, J. & Capalbo, S. & Denny, M., 1992. "Dynamic factor demand equations in U.S. and Canadian agriculture," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 6(3), February.
- Hatanaka, Michio, 1976. "Several efficient two-step estimators for the dynamic simultaneous equations model with autoregressive disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 189-204, May.
- Treadway, Arthur B, 1971. "The Rational Multivariate Flexible Accelerator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 845-55, September.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1975. "Seemingly unrelated nonlinear regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 35-50, February.
- Epstein, Larry G & Denny, Michael G S, 1983. "The Multivariate Flexible Accelerator Model: Its Empirical Restrictions and an Application to U.S. Manufacturing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 647-74, May.
- Treadway, Arthur B., 1970. "Adjustment costs and variable inputs in the theory of the competitive firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 329-347, December.
- Mortensen, Dale T, 1973. "Generalized Costs of Adjustment and Dynamic Factor Demand Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 657-65, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agecon:v:17:y:1997:i:2-3:p:223-237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.