Optimal intertemporal investment in Australian agriculture: An empirical investigation
This paper empirically investigates optimal intertemporal investment behaviour of farmers in Australia. The dynamic investment model is estimated using pooled crosssectional and time-series farm survey data spanning the period 1979-1993. The model captures intertemporal investment behaviour of farmers, including independent and instantaneous adjustment decisions. Empirical test results indicate that labour, capital, sheep numbers and cattle numbers adjust sluggishly towards their long-run equilibrium levels. Results provide empirical evidence to indicate that adjustment problem is characteristic of production in agricultural zones Australia.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Larry G. Epstein, 1981. "Duality Theory and Functional Forms for Dynamic Factor Demands," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(1), pages 81-95.
- J. P. Gould, 1968. "Adjustment Costs in the Theory of Investment of the Firm," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(1), pages 47-55.
- McKay, Lloyd & Lawrence, Denis & Vlastuin, Chris, 1982. "Production Flexibility and Technical Change in Australia's Wheat-Sheep Zone," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(01), April.
- Fisher, Brian S. & Wall, Charles A., 1990. "Supply Response In The Australian Sheep Industry: A Profit Function Approach," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 34(02), August.
- Robert E. Lucas & Jr., 1967. "Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 321.
- Epstein, Larry G & Denny, Michael G S, 1983. "The Multivariate Flexible Accelerator Model: Its Empirical Restrictions and an Application to U.S. Manufacturing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 647-74, May.
- Utpal Vasavada & Robert G. Chambers, 1986. "Investment in U.S. Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 68(4), pages 950-960.
- Wall, Charles A. & Fisher, Brian S., 1988. "Supply Response and the Theory of Production and Profit Functions," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 56(03), December.
- Ramon E. Lopez, 1985. "Supply Response and Investment in the Canadian Food Processing Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 67(1), pages 40-48.
- Kulatilaka, Nalin, 1985. "Tests on the validity of static equilibrium models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 253-268, May.
- Treadway, Arthur B., 1970. "Adjustment costs and variable inputs in the theory of the competitive firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 329-347, December.
- McKay, Lloyd & Lawrence, Denis & Vlastuin, Chris, 1983. "Profit, Output Supply, and Input Demand Functions for Multiproduct Firms: The Case of Australian Agriculture," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(2), pages 323-39, June.
- Vasavada, Utpal & Ball, V. Eldon, 1988.
"A dynamic adjustment model for U.S. agriculture: 1948-79,"
Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 123-137, October.
- Vasavada, Utpal & Ball, V. Eldon, 1988. "A Dynamic Adjustment Model for U.S. Agriculture: 1948-79," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 2(2), October.
- Vincent, David P & Dixon, Peter B & Powell, Alan A, 1980. "The Estimation of Supply Response in Australian Agrucilture: The CRESH/CRETH Production System," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 221-42, February.
- A. B. Treadway, 1969. "On Rational Entrepreneurial Behaviour and the Demand for Investment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(2), pages 227-239.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Krasachat, W. & Coelli, T. J., 1995. "Dynamics of Agricultural Production on Thailand," 1995 Conference (39th), February 14-16, 1995, Perth, Australia 170898, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Mortensen, Dale T, 1973. "Generalized Costs of Adjustment and Dynamic Factor Demand Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 657-65, July.
- J. Fernandez-Cornejo & C. M. Gempesaw II & J. G. Elterich & S. E. Stefanou, 1992. "Dynamic Measures of Scope and Scale Economies: An Application to German Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(2), pages 329-342.
- Baxter, Nevins D & Cragg, John G, 1970. "Corporate Choice Among Long-Term Financing Instruments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(3), pages 225-35, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aergaa:44094. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.