Entry and exit in transition economies: the Slovenian manufacturing sector
This article investigates entry and exit in Slovenian manufacturing for the period 1994-2000 using OLS and panel data fixed and random-effects estimations. Private ownership is associated with higher rates of firm exit, suggesting that this ownership structure is related to a higher risk of bankruptcy so that the least efficient firms are replaced by more efficient ones. However, and although most entrants are private, it is negatively related to entry (in lagged terms), potentially indicating that sectors with a higher proportion of private firms are also highly populated, closer to break-even point and thus less appealing. Export orientation is associated with lower exit, confirming the theory that exporting firms outperformed domestically focused firms, and with lower entry, perhaps suggesting that exporting involves more complex ways of doing business that deter the typically small new entrants. Higher profitability reduces exit rates. Labour-intensive sectors witness higher entry rates, indicating that labour is relatively cheaper than capital for new entering firms. Finally, there may be important technological barriers to exit (sunk costs) in Slovenia, but not to entry.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CPCE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simeon Djankov & Peter Murrell, 2002.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-792, September.
- Djankov, Simeon & Murrell, Peter, 2002. "Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 3319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boardman, Anthony E & Vining, Aidan R, 1989. "Ownership and Performance in Competitive Environments: A Comparison of the Performance of Private, Mixed, and State-Owned Enterprises," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 1-33, April.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Philippe Aghion & Patrick Rey, 1997.
"Corporate governance, competition policy and industrial policy,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9613, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Aghion, Ph. & Dewatripont, M. & Rey, P., 1997. "Corporate governance, competition policy and industrial policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 797-805, April.
- Nickell, Stephen & Nicolitsas, Daphne, 1999.
"How does financial pressure affect firms?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(8), pages 1435-1456, August.
- Nickell, S. & Nicolitsas, D., 1995. "How Does Financial Pressure Affect Firms," Economics Series Working Papers 99170, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Stephen Nickell & Daphne Nicolitsas, 1995. "How does financial pressure affect firms?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20698, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Nickell & D Nicolitsas, 1995. "How Does Financial Pressure Affect Firms?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0266, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Brown, J David & Earle, John S, 2001. "Privatization, Competition and Reform Strategies: Theory and Evidence from Russian Enterprise Panel Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 2758, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlin, Wendy & Mayer, Colin, 1992. "Restructuring Enterprises in Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 700, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ewa Balcerowicz & Leszek Balcerowicz & Iraj Hashi, 1998. "Barriers to Entry and Growth of Private Companies in Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Albania and Lithuania," CASE Network Reports 0014, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Barbara Roberts & Steve Thompson, 2003. "Entry and Exit in a Transition Economy: The Case of Poland," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 225-243, May.
- repec:wdi:papers:2000-338 is not listed on IDEAS
- J Earle & S Estrin, 1996.
"Privatisation versus Competition: Changing Enterprise Behavior in Russia,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0316, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- J.S. Earle & S. Estrin, 1996. "Privatization Versus Competition: Changing Enterprise Behavior in Russia," Working Papers wp96049, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- J. Earle & Saul Estrin, 1996. "Privatisation versus competition: changing enterprise behavior in Russia," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20364, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Repkine, Alexandre & Walsh, Patrick Paul, 1999. "Evidence of European Trade and Investment U-Shaping Industrial Output in Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, and Romania," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 730-752, December.
- Wendy Carlin & Saul Estrin & Mark Schaffer, 2000.
"Measuring Progress in Transition and Towards EU Accession: A Comparison of Manufacturing Firms in Poland, Romania and Spain,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(5), pages 699-728, December.
- Wendy Carlin & Saul Estrin & Mark E. Schaffer, 1999. "Measuring Progress in Transition and towards EU Accession. A comparison of manufacturing firms in Poland, Romania and Spain," CERT Discussion Papers 9902, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989.
"Firm Entry and Postentry Performance in the U.S. Chemical Industries,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(2), pages S233-71, October.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1989. "Firm Entry and Post-Entry Performance in the U.S. Chemical Industries," Working Papers 89-6, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "Firm Entry And Post-Entry Performance In The U.S. Chemical Industries," Papers 0-88-4, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "Firm Entry And Post-Entry Performance In The U.S. Chemical Industries," Papers 7-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Roman Frydman & Cheryl Gray & Marek Hessel & Andrzej Rapaczynski, 1999. "When Does Privatization Work? The Impact Of Private Ownership On Corporate Performance In The Transition Economies," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1153-1191, November.
- Konings, Jozef, 1997. "Competition and Firm Performance in Transition Economies: Evidence from Firm Level Surveys in Slovenia, Hungary and Romania," CEPR Discussion Papers 1770, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- repec:wdi:papers:2001-363 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bilsen, Valentijn & Konings, Jozef, 1998. "Job Creation, Job Destruction, and Growth of Newly Established, Privatized, and State-Owned Enterprises in Transition Economies: Survey Evidence from Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 429-445, September.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro, 1994. "Life Duration of New Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 227-45, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:pocoec:v:16:y:2004:i:2:p:191-214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.