Entry and Competition in a Transition Economy: The Case of Slovakia
The present paper provides first empirical evidence on the effects of entry on market conduct for a transition economy. We estimate size thresholds required to support different numbers of firms for seven retail and professional service industries in a large number of distinct geographic markets in Slovakia. Our results suggest a differential impact of entry on market conduct: while market conduct is unaffected by entry in the north-western parts of Slovakia, competition tends to kick in slowly in most professions in the south-east. This latter region suffers from infrastructure bottlenecks and competitors require a larger increase in the number of customers to come in.
|Date of creation:||31 Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dolnozemská cesta 1, Bratislava 852 35|
Phone: +421 7 67291 111
Web page: http://nhf.euba.sk/katedry/katedra-hospodarskej-politiky
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asplund, Marcus & Sandin, Rickard, 1999. "The Number of Firms and Production Capacity in Relation to Market Size," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 69-85, March.
- Barbara Roberts & Steve Thompson, 2003. "Entry and Exit in a Transition Economy: The Case of Poland," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 22(3), pages 225-243, May.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Schaumans, Catherine & Verboven, Frank, 2011.
"Entry and Competition in Differentiated Products Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8353, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Catherine Schaumans & Frank Verboven, 2015. "Entry and Competition in Differentiated Products Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 97(1), pages 195-209, March.
- Schaumans, C.B.C. & Verboven, F.L., 2011. "Entry and Competition in Differentiated Products Markets," Discussion Paper 2011-049, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Catherine SCHAUMANS & Frank VERBOVEN, 2011. "Entry and competition in differentiated products markets," Working Papers Department of Economics ces11.23, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Mariusz Jarmuzek & Biswajit Banerjee, 2009. "Anatomy of Regional Disparities in the Slovak Republic," IMF Working Papers 09/145, International Monetary Fund.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F & Reiss, Peter C, 1991.
"Entry and Competition in Concentrated Markets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 977-1009, October.
- Stefan Bojnec & Ana Xavier, 2004. "Entry and exit in transition economies: the Slovenian manufacturing sector," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 191-214.
- Saul Estrin, 2002. "Competition and Corporate Governance in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 101-124, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:brt:depwps:003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin Labaj)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.