Privatization Versus Competition: Changing Enterprise Behavior in Russia
We investigate whether competitive forces and privatization have yet began to play an efficiency-enhancing role in Russia. We also explore the economic effects of harder budget constraints on enterprise behavior. The empirical work is based on a large enterprise panel of Russian firms 1990-94, representing around 10% of Russian manufacturing output. We conclude that privatization is having an impact on enterprise efficiency and restructuring but domestic market structure and harder budget constraints for the most part are not. Intriguingly, Russian firms are found to be sensitive to the degree of import penetration.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, A.N. & Ickes, B. & Ryterman, R., 1993. "The Myth of Monopoly: A New View of Industrial Structure in Russia," Papers 10-93-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Saunders, Ronald, 1980. "The Determinants of Productivity in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 167-84, December.
- Sleuwaegen, Leo E & Dehandschutter, Wim V, 1986. "The Critical Choice between the Concentration Ratio and the H-Index in Assessing Industry Performance," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(2), pages 193-208, December.
- Kwoka, John E, Jr, 1981. "Does the Choice of Concentration Measure Really Matter?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 445-53, June.
- Esposito, Louis & Esposito, Frances Ferguson, 1971. "Foreign Competition and Domestic Industry Profitability," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(4), pages 343-53, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:1997-70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.