Capital flows in a transitional economy and the sterilization dilemma: The hungarian experience, 1992-97
This paper evaluates Hungary's dilemma with sterilization in the context of the record of countries elsewhere that have experienced similar capital inflow episodes, e.g., Latin America and Asia. The study focuses on the short-run impact of sterilization on monetary policy. The empirical results indicate that sterilized interventions by the National Bank of Hungary (NBH) did not neutralize capital inflows until possibly the middle of 1995, following a change in government and, more significantly, a change in exchange rate regimes. Indeed, it appears that monetary policy was overly restrictive and that, for a time, the NBH overcompensated for the inflows of capital.
Volume (Year): 3 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GPRE19|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GPRE19|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, June.
- Anonymous, 1994. "Monetary Policy Statement, December 1994," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 57, December.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1983.
"Exchange rates, inflation, and the sterilization problem: Germany, 1975-1981,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 161-189.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1982. "Exchange Rates, Inflation and the Sterilization Problem: Germany, 1975-1981," NBER Working Papers 0963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994.
"Targeting the real exchange rate: Theory and evidence,"
13412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Reinhart, Carmen M. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1995. "Targeting the real exchange rate: theory and evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 97-133, June.
- Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont & Guillermo Calvo & Carmen Reinhart, 1994. "Targeting the Real Exchange Rate; Theory and Evidence," IMF Working Papers 94/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 1991. "The Perils of Sterilization," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 921-926, December.
- Jang-Yung Lee, 1996. "Implications of a Surge in Capital Inflows; Available tools and Consequences for the Conduct of Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 96/53, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jpolrf:v:3:y:2000:i:4:p:373-392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.