Efficient estimation and testing of oil futures contracts in a mutual offset system
With the globalization of financial and commodity markets, it is becoming increasingly important to recognize price linkages between markets beyond national boundaries. Models of futures pricing that incorporate such price linkages into the information set can be expected to be superior empirically. Test results obtained in the paper support this proposition strongly in the case of Brent crude oil futures contracts traded in a mutual offset system between the Singapore International Monetary Exchange (SIMEX) and the International Petroleum Exchange (IPE). Augmented models of SIMEX Brent futures contracts are obtained by incorporating the previous day's IPE Brent futures price into the equation system for the unbiased expectations and the cost-of-carry hypotheses, whereas augmented models of IPE Brent futures contracts are obtained by incorporating the same day's SIMEX Brent futures price in the system for the two hypotheses. On the basis of tests of zero restrictions, the system for the augmented unbiased expectations hypothesis is found to be superior empirically to the system for the standard Unbiased Expectations hypothesis, and the augmented cost-of-carry system is also found to be superior empirically to the standard cost-of-carry system for both SIMEX Brent futures and IPE Brent futures contracts.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991.
"Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 141-220
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, J.Y. & Perron, P., 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomics should know about unit roots," Papers 360, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Campbell, John & Perron, Pierre, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know about Unit Roots," Scholarly Articles 3374863, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots," NBER Technical Working Papers 0100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Park, Joon Y. & Phillips, Peter C.B., 1989.
"Statistical Inference in Regressions with Integrated Processes: Part 2,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 95-131, April.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1986. "Statistical Inference in Regressions with Integrated Processes: Part 2," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 819R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1987.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2010.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests,"
1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Bekaert, Geert & Hodrick, Robert J., 1993.
"On biases in the measurement of foreign exchange risk premiums,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 115-138, April.
- Geert Bekaert & Robert J. Hodrick, 1991. "On Biases in the Measurement of Foreign Exchange Risk Premiums," NBER Working Papers 3861, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Hodrick, Robert J, 1992.
" Characterizing Predictable Components in Excess Returns on Equity and Foreign Exchange Markets,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 467-509, June.
- Geert Bekaert & Robert J. Hodrick, 1991. "Characterizing Predictable Components in Excess Returns on Equity and Foreign Exchange Markets," NBER Working Papers 3790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107, July.
- Amin, Kaushik I. & Jarrow, Robert A., 1991. "Pricing foreign currency options under stochastic interest rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 310-329, September.
- Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. (ed.), 1991. "Long-Run Economic Relationships: Readings in Cointegration," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283393, July.
- Fama, Eugene F & Farber, Andre, 1979.
"Money, Bonds, and Foreign Exchange,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 639-49, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:14:y:2004:i:13:p:953-962. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.