'Home' base and monetary base rules: elementary evidence from the 1980s and 1990s
This paper evaluates the quantitative importance of removing U.S. currency held abroad from the monetary base. We find that a simple macroeconometric model that uses home base has more explanatory power for changes in nominal income than a model using the total base. Moreover, proposed base rules for the conduct of monetary policy perform better when the model for home base is employed. The evidence from our elementary exercises suggests that accounting for foreign holdings of U.S. currency may also be important in other contexts.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20551|
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/feds/fedsorder.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arturo Estrella & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1996.
"Is There a Role for Monetary Aggregates in the Conduct of Monetary Policy?,"
NBER Working Papers
5845, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Estrella, Arturo & Mishkin, Frederic S., 1997. "Is there a role for monetary aggregates in the conduct of monetary policy?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 279-304, October.
- Fair, Ray C. & Howrey, E. Philip, 1996.
"Evaluating alternative monetary policy rules,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 173-193, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2010.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests,"
1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Cochrane, John H., 1991. "A critique of the application of unit root tests," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 275-284, April.
- Hall, R.E. & Mankiw, N.G., 1993.
"Nominal Income Targeting,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1650, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Martin Feldstein & James H. Stock, 1993.
"The Use of Monetary Aggregate to Target Nominal GDP,"
NBER Working Papers
4304, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein & James H. Stock, 1994. "The Use of a Monetary Aggregate to Target Nominal GDP," NBER Chapters, in: Monetary Policy, pages 7-69 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1995.
"Federal Reserve interest rate targeting, rational expectations, and the term structure,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
95-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Rudebusch, Glenn D., 1995. "Federal Reserve interest rate targeting, rational expectations, and the term structure," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 245-274, April.
- Hafer, R. W. & Haslag, Joseph H. & Hein, Scott E., 1996. "Implementing monetary base rules: The currency problem," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(5), pages 461-472, December.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1994. "Monetary Policy Rules and Financial Stability," NBER Working Papers 4692, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Blough, Stephen R, 1992. "The Relationship between Power and Level for Generic Unit Root Tests in Finite Samples," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 295-308, July-Sept.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgfe:1997-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marlene Vikor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.