Evaluating alternative monetary policy rules
This paper examines monetary policy from an optimal control perspective. Three loss functions are minimized for each of three models, and the results are compared. The three loss functions target nominal growth, real growth, and inflation, respectively. The three models are a small structural model, a VAR model, and a large structural model. A numerical procedure is presented that can handle a variety of loss functions and models.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taylor, John B, 1979. "Estimation and Control of a Macroeconomic Model with Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1267-86, September.
- Dean Croushore & Tom Stark, 1994.
"Evaluating McCallum's rule for monetary policy,"
94-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Hall, R.E. & Mankiw, N.G., 1993.
"Nominal Income Targeting,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1650, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Mccallum, Bennet T., 1988. "Robustness properties of a rule for monetary policy," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 173-203, January.
- John P. Judd & Brian Motley, 1993. "Using a nominal GDP rule to guide discretionary monetary policy," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 3-11.
- James Tobin, 1980. "Stabilization Policy Ten Years After," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(1, Tenth ), pages 19-90.
- Todd E. Clark, 1994. "Nominal GDP targeting rules: can they stabilize the economy?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 11-25.
- Martin Feldstein & James H. Stock, 1994.
"The Use of a Monetary Aggregate to Target Nominal GDP,"
in: Monetary Policy, pages 7-69
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein & James H. Stock, 1993. "The Use of Monetary Aggregate to Target Nominal GDP," NBER Working Papers 4304, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:moneco:v:38:y:1996:i:2:p:173-193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.