Specification and Analysis of a Monetary Policy Rule for Japan
This paper investigates the performance, in several small-scale models of the Japanese economy, of an operational monetary policy rule related to ones previously considered for the United States. The rule dictates settings of the monetary base that are designed to produce values of nominal GNP close to targets that grow smoothly at a noninflationary rate. Simulations with quarterly data for the period 1972-1992 yield predominantly favorable results. Experiments with an interest rate instrument are also conducted but the simulated performance is less desirable. One section discusses issues concerning monetary base control in Japan.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Bank of Japan Monetary and Economic Studies, vol. 1, no. 2, November 1993p. 1-45|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Martin Feldstein & James H. Stock, 1994.
"The Use of a Monetary Aggregate to Target Nominal GDP,"
in: Monetary Policy, pages 7-69
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein & James H. Stock, 1993. "The Use of Monetary Aggregate to Target Nominal GDP," NBER Working Papers 4304, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 1977.
"Unanticipated Money Growth and Unemployment in the United States,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 101-15, March.
- Robert J. Barro, 1976. "Unanticipated Money Growth and Unemployment in the United States," Working Papers 234, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Monica Hargraves, 1983.
"A historical assessment of the rationales and functions of reserve requirements,"
83-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Monica Hargraves, 1983. "A historical assessment of the rationales and functions of reserve requirements," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Mar, pages 3-21.
- Mccallum, Bennet T., 1988. "Robustness properties of a rule for monetary policy," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 173-203, January.
- Kazuo Ueda, 1993. "A Comparative Perspective on Japanese Monetary Policy: Short-Run Monetary Control and the Transmission Mechanism," NBER Chapters, in: Japanese Monetary Policy, pages 7-30 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John P. Judd & Brian Motley, 1991. "Nominal feedback rules for monetary policy," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sum, pages 3-17.
- Paul D. McNelis & Naoyuki Yoshino, 1992. "Monetary Stabilization with Interest Rate Instruments in Japan: A Linear Quadratic Control Analysis," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 10(2), pages 79-106, November.
- Bean, Charles R, 1983. "Targeting Nominal Income: An Appraisal," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 806-19, December.
- R.W. Hafer & Joseph H. Haslag & Scott E. Hein, 1991. "Evaluating monetary base targeting rules," Working Papers 9104, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- McCallum, Bennett T & Hoehn, James G, 1983. "Instrument Choice for Money Stock Control with Contemporaneous and Lagged Reserve Requirements: A Note," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 15(1), pages 96-101, February.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1972. "Expectations and the neutrality of money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-124, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:4449. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.