Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative
This paper derives asymptotically optimal tests for testing problems in which a nuisance parameter exists under the alternative hypothesis but not under the null. The results of the paper are of interest, because the testing problem considered in non-standard and the classical asymptotic optimality results for the Wald, Lagrange multiplier (LM), and likelihood ratio (LR) tests do not apply. In the non-standard cases of main interest, new optimal tests are obtained and the LR test is not found to be an optimal test.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1992|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Econometrica (November 1994), 62(6): 1383-1414|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, B.E., 1991.
"Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis,"
RCER Working Papers
296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996. "Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Simon M. Potter, 1993.
"A Nonlinear Approach to U.S. GNP,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
693, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1994. "Testing for Serial Correlation Against an ARMA(1,1) Process," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1077, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- James M. Nason, 1991. "The permanent income hypothesis when the bliss point is stochastic," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 46, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1987. "Consistency in Nonlinear Econometric Models: A Generic Uniform Law of Large Numbers [On Unification of the Asymptotic Theory of Nonlinear Econometric Models]," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1465-71, November.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992.
"Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 321-35, July.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 2002. "Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 45-59, January.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Generic Uniform Convergence,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
940, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- King, Maxwell L & Shively, Thomas S, 1993. "Locally Optimal Testing When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 1-7, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.