Testing for relationships between Shanghai and Shenzhen stock markets: A threshold cointegration perspective
We investigate the relationships between Shanghai and Shenzhen stock market, and reveal the evidence of cross-correlations between the two stock markets. Our main findings show that Shanghai and Shenzhen stock market are cointegrated, and also present the evidence of strong error-correction effect in the short-rate equation, whereas the point estimate for the error-correction term is small and not statistical significance in the long-rate equation. Finally, Shanghai stock market ECT coefficient shows the evidence of long-term equilibrium in the first regime, while in the second regime the coefficient of correction term is larger than that of the first regime, indicating the rate convergence to long-term equilibrium is not uniform.
Volume (Year): 392 (2013)
Issue (Month): 18 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maslyuk, Svetlana & Smyth, Russell, 2009. "Cointegration between oil spot and future prices of the same and different grades in the presence of structural change," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1687-1693, May.
- M. McAleer & J. M. Sequeira, 2004. "Efficient estimation and testing of oil futures contracts in a mutual offset system," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(13), pages 953-962.
- Johansen, S., 1991.
"Testing Weak Exogeneity and the Order of Cointegration in UK Money Demand Data,"
78, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Testing weak exogeneity and the order of cointegration in UK money demand data," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 313-334, June.
- Nathan S. Balke & Mark E. Wohar, 1997.
"Nonlinear dynamics and covered interest rate parity,"
9701, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Mark E. Wohar & Nathan S. Balke, 1998. "Nonlinear dynamics and covered interest rate parity," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 535-559.
- Lin, Xiaoqiang & Fei, Fangyu & Wang, Yudong, 2011. "Analysis of the efficiency of the Shanghai stock market: A volatility perspective," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(20), pages 3486-3495.
- Wang, Yudong & Wei, Yu & Wu, Chongfeng, 2010. "Cross-correlations between Chinese A-share and B-share markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(23), pages 5468-5478.
- Apostolos Serletis, 1997.
"Is There an East-West Split in North American Natural Gas Markets?,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 47-62.
- Serletis, Apostolos, 1997. "Is there an East-West split in North-American natural gas markets?," MPRA Paper 1746, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baum, Christopher F & Karasulu, Meral, 1998.
"Modelling Federal Reserve Discount Policy,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 11(1-2), pages 53-70, April.
- Lim, Kian-Ping, 2007. "Ranking market efficiency for stock markets: A nonlinear perspective," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 376(C), pages 445-454.
- B. Podobnik & I. Grosse & D. Horvatić & S. Ilic & P. Ch. Ivanov & H. E. Stanley, 2009. "Quantifying cross-correlations using local and global detrending approaches," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 71(2), pages 243-250, September.
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Seo, Byeongseon, 2002.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 293-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen/Seo paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Herbert, John, 1999. "The message in North American energy prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 471-483, October.
- Lo, Ming Chien & Zivot, Eric, 2001. "Threshold Cointegration And Nonlinear Adjustment To The Law Of One Price," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 533-576, September.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
- Duan Wang & Boris Podobnik & Davor Horvati\'c & H. Eugene Stanley, 2011. "Quantifying and Modeling Long-Range Cross-Correlations in Multiple Time Series with Applications to World Stock Indices," Papers 1102.2240, arXiv.org.
- Laurent Calvet & Adlai Fisher, 2002. "Multifractality In Asset Returns: Theory And Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 381-406, August.
- Peri, Massimo & Baldi, Lucia, 2010. "Vegetable oil market and biofuel policy: An asymmetric cointegration approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 687-693, May.
- Falk, Barry L. & Enders, Walter, 1998.
"Threshold-Autoregressive, Median-Unbiased, and Cointegration Tests of Purchasing Power Parity,"
Staff General Research Papers
1221, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Enders, Walter & Falk, Barry, 1998. "Threshold-autoregressive, median-unbiased, and cointegration tests of purchasing power parity," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 171-186, June.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O. & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2007. "Long-range dependence and multifractality in the term structure of LIBOR interest rates," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 373(C), pages 603-614.
- Tóth, Bence & Kertész, János, 2006. "Increasing market efficiency: Evolution of cross-correlations of stock returns," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 360(2), pages 505-515.
- Wang, Yudong & Wu, Chongfeng & Pan, Zhiyuan, 2011. "Multifractal detrending moving average analysis on the US Dollar exchange rates," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(20), pages 3512-3523.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O. & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2005. "Testing for time-varying long-range dependence in volatility for emerging markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 346(3), pages 577-588.
- Wei-Xing Zhou, 2009. "The components of empirical multifractality in financial returns," Papers 0908.1089, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2009.
- Galluccio, S. & Caldarelli, G. & Marsili, M. & Zhang, Y.-C., 1997. "Scaling in currency exchange," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 245(3), pages 423-436.
- Kantelhardt, Jan W. & Zschiegner, Stephan A. & Koscielny-Bunde, Eva & Havlin, Shlomo & Bunde, Armin & Stanley, H.Eugene, 2002. "Multifractal detrended fluctuation analysis of nonstationary time series," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 316(1), pages 87-114.
- Sergio Arianos & Anna Carbone, 2008. "Cross-correlation of long-range correlated series," Papers 0804.2064, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2009.
- Jiang, J. & Ma, K. & Cai, X., 2007. "Non-linear characteristics and long-range correlations in Asian stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 378(2), pages 399-407.
- Lim, Kian-Ping & Brooks, Robert D. & Kim, Jae H., 2008. "Financial crisis and stock market efficiency: Empirical evidence from Asian countries," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 571-591, June.
- M. Pasquini & M. Serva, 2000. "Clustering of volatility as a multiscale phenomenon," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 195-201, July.
- Lin, Xiaoqiang & Fei, Fangyu, 2013. "Long memory revisit in Chinese stock markets: Based on GARCH-class models and multiscale analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 265-275.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:392:y:2013:i:18:p:4064-4074. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.