Testing for relationships between Shanghai and Shenzhen stock markets: A threshold cointegration perspective
We investigate the relationships between Shanghai and Shenzhen stock market, and reveal the evidence of cross-correlations between the two stock markets. Our main findings show that Shanghai and Shenzhen stock market are cointegrated, and also present the evidence of strong error-correction effect in the short-rate equation, whereas the point estimate for the error-correction term is small and not statistical significance in the long-rate equation. Finally, Shanghai stock market ECT coefficient shows the evidence of long-term equilibrium in the first regime, while in the second regime the coefficient of correction term is larger than that of the first regime, indicating the rate convergence to long-term equilibrium is not uniform.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 392 (2013)
Issue (Month): 18 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Pasquini & M. Serva, 2000. "Clustering of volatility as a multiscale phenomenon," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 16(1), pages 195-201, July.
- Lin, Xiaoqiang & Fei, Fangyu & Wang, Yudong, 2011. "Analysis of the efficiency of the Shanghai stock market: A volatility perspective," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(20), pages 3486-3495.
- Serletis, Apostolos, 1997.
"Is there an East-West split in North-American natural gas markets?,"
1746, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Apostolos Serletis, 1997. "Is There an East-West Split in North American Natural Gas Markets?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 47-62.
- Lin, Xiaoqiang & Fei, Fangyu, 2013. "Long memory revisit in Chinese stock markets: Based on GARCH-class models and multiscale analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 265-275.
- Lo, Ming Chien & Zivot, Eric, 2001. "Threshold Cointegration And Nonlinear Adjustment To The Law Of One Price," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 533-576, September.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O. & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2007. "Long-range dependence and multifractality in the term structure of LIBOR interest rates," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 373(C), pages 603-614.
- Mark E. Wohar & Nathan S. Balke, 1998.
"Nonlinear dynamics and covered interest rate parity,"
Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 535-559.
- Balke, Nathan S. & Wohar, Mark E., 1997. "Nonlinear dynamics and covered interest rate parity," Working Papers 9701, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Enders, Walter & Falk, Barry, 1998.
"Threshold-autoregressive, median-unbiased, and cointegration tests of purchasing power parity,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 171-186, June.
- Falk, Barry L. & Enders, Walter, 1998. "Threshold-Autoregressive, Median-Unbiased, and Cointegration Tests of Purchasing Power Parity," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1221, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Baum, Christopher F & Karasulu, Meral, 1998.
"Modelling Federal Reserve Discount Policy,"
Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 11(1-2), pages 53-70, April.
- Lim, Kian-Ping, 2007. "Ranking market efficiency for stock markets: A nonlinear perspective," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 376(C), pages 445-454.
- Johansen, S., 1991.
"Testing Weak Exogeneity and the Order of Cointegration in UK Money Demand Data,"
78, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Testing weak exogeneity and the order of cointegration in UK money demand data," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 313-334, June.
- Laurent Calvet & Adlai Fisher, 2002.
"Multifractality In Asset Returns: Theory And Evidence,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 381-406, August.
- Laurent-Emmanuel Calvet & Adlai J. Fisher, 2002. "Multifractality in Asset Returns: Theory and Evidence," Post-Print hal-00478175, HAL.
- Wei-Xing Zhou, 2009. "The components of empirical multifractality in financial returns," Papers 0908.1089, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2009.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Herbert, John, 1999. "The message in North American energy prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 471-483, October.
- Tóth, Bence & Kertész, János, 2006. "Increasing market efficiency: Evolution of cross-correlations of stock returns," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 360(2), pages 505-515.
- Lim, Kian-Ping & Brooks, Robert D. & Kim, Jae H., 2008. "Financial crisis and stock market efficiency: Empirical evidence from Asian countries," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 571-591, June.
- Wang, Yudong & Wei, Yu & Wu, Chongfeng, 2010. "Cross-correlations between Chinese A-share and B-share markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(23), pages 5468-5478.
- Jiang, J. & Ma, K. & Cai, X., 2007. "Non-linear characteristics and long-range correlations in Asian stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 378(2), pages 399-407.
- Galluccio, S. & Caldarelli, G. & Marsili, M. & Zhang, Y.-C., 1997. "Scaling in currency exchange," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 245(3), pages 423-436.
- Duan Wang & Boris Podobnik & Davor Horvati\'c & H. Eugene Stanley, 2011. "Quantifying and Modeling Long-Range Cross-Correlations in Multiple Time Series with Applications to World Stock Indices," Papers 1102.2240, arXiv.org.
- Sergio Arianos & Anna Carbone, 2008. "Cross-correlation of long-range correlated series," Papers 0804.2064, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2009.
- Maslyuk, Svetlana & Smyth, Russell, 2009. "Cointegration between oil spot and future prices of the same and different grades in the presence of structural change," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1687-1693, May.
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Seo, Byeongseon, 2002.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 293-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen/Seo paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kantelhardt, Jan W. & Zschiegner, Stephan A. & Koscielny-Bunde, Eva & Havlin, Shlomo & Bunde, Armin & Stanley, H.Eugene, 2002. "Multifractal detrended fluctuation analysis of nonstationary time series," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 316(1), pages 87-114.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O. & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2005. "Testing for time-varying long-range dependence in volatility for emerging markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 346(3), pages 577-588.
- Wang, Yudong & Wu, Chongfeng & Pan, Zhiyuan, 2011. "Multifractal detrending moving average analysis on the US Dollar exchange rates," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(20), pages 3512-3523.
- M. McAleer & J. M. Sequeira, 2004. "Efficient estimation and testing of oil futures contracts in a mutual offset system," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(13), pages 953-962.
- Peri, Massimo & Baldi, Lucia, 2010. "Vegetable oil market and biofuel policy: An asymmetric cointegration approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 687-693, May.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
- B. Podobnik & I. Grosse & D. Horvatić & S. Ilic & P. Ch. Ivanov & H. E. Stanley, 2009. "Quantifying cross-correlations using local and global detrending approaches," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 71(2), pages 243-250, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:392:y:2013:i:18:p:4064-4074. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.