Firm-Specific Characteristics and the Timing of Foreign Direct Investment Projects
This paper uses a proportional hazard model to study foreign direct investment by Japanese manufacturers in Europe between 1970 and 1994. We divide each firm?s investment total into a sequence of individual investment decisions and analyze how firm-specific characteristics affect each decision. We find that total factor productivity is a significant determinant of a firm?s initial and subsequent investments. Parent-firm size does not have a significant influence on the initial decision to invest. Large firms simply have more investments than smaller firms. Other firm-specific characteristics, such as the R&D intensity, export share and keiretsu membership, also play a role in the investment process.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 144 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: https://www.ifw-kiel.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/international+economics/journal/10290/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2003.
"Export versus FDI,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1998, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Markusen, James R., 2002.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James R. Markusen, 2004. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J & Markusen, James R, 1987. "Strategic Investments and the Development of Multinationals," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(1), pages 109-121, February.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 2003.
"The Firm as a Pool of Factor Complementarities,"
IZA Discussion Papers
882, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Assar Lindbeck & Dennis Snower, 2003. "The Firm as a Pool of Factor Complementarities," CESifo Working Paper Series 1046, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 2003. "The Firm as a Pool of Factor Complementarities," Working Paper Series 598, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis, 2003. "The Firm as a Pool of Factor Complementarities," Seminar Papers 725, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 2004. "The Firm as a Pool of Factor Complementarities," CEPR Discussion Papers 4242, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Horst Raff & Michael Ryan & Frank Stähler, 2012.
"Firm Productivity and the Foreign-Market Entry Decision,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 849-871, 09.
- Raff, Horst & Ryan, Michael & Stähler, Frank, 2008. "Firm Productivity and the Foreign-Market Entry Decision," Economics Working Papers 2008,02, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-679, June.
- Rafael Rob & Nikolaos Vettas, 2003.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Exports with Growing Demand,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 70(3), pages 629-648.
- Rafael Rob & Nikolaos Vettas, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and Exports with Growing Demand," Penn CARESS Working Papers f8c083d9257897f97ff49d054, Penn Economics Department.
- Rafael Rob & Nikolaos Vettas, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment and Exports with Growing Demand," PIER Working Paper Archive 03-001, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Rob, Rafael & Vettas, Nikolaos, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and Exports with Growing Demand," CEPR Discussion Papers 2786, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Horst, Thomas, 1972. "Firm and Industry Determinants of the Decision to Invest Abroad: An Empirical Study," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 258-266, August.
- Baldwin, Richard & Ottaviano, Gianmarco, 1998.
"Multiproduct Multinationals and Reciprocal FDI Dumping,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1851, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Ottaviano, Gianmarco I. P., 2001. "Multiproduct multinationals and reciprocal FDI dumping," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 429-448, August.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano, 1998. "Multiproduct Multinationals and Reciprocal FDI Dumping," NBER Working Papers 6483, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Belderbos, Rene & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 1996. "Japanese Firms and the Decision to Invest Abroad: Business Groups and Regional Core Networks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 214-220, May.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 2003.
"Heterogeneity and the FDI versus Export Decision of Japanese Manufacturers,"
NBER Working Papers
10052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2003. "Heterogeneity and the FDI versus export decision of Japanese manufacturers," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 448-467, December.
- Len Trevino & John Daniels, 1994. "An empirical assessment of the preconditions of Japanese manufacturing foreign direct investment in the United States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 130(3), pages 576-599, September.
- Heckman, James J. & Singer, Burton, 1984. "Econometric duration analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 63-132.
- David Greenaway & Richard Kneller, 2007. "Firm heterogeneity, exporting and foreign direct investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages 134-161, 02.
- Jean-François Hennart, 1991. "The Transaction Costs Theory of Joint Ventures: An Empirical Study of Japanese Subsidiaries in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 483-497, April.
- Drake, Tracey A. & Caves, Richard E., 1992. "Changing determinants of Japanese foreign investment in the United States," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 228-246, September.
- Head, C. Keith & Ries, John C. & Swenson, Deborah L., 1999. "Attracting foreign manufacturing: Investment promotion and agglomeration," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 197-218, March.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Lipsey, Robert E, 1991. " Firm Size and Foreign Operations of Multinationals," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 93(1), pages 101-107.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Christopher J. Ellis & Dietrich Fausten, 2003.
"Industrial groupings and foreign direct investment,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2003-19, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Mar 2003.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Ellis, Christopher J. & Fausten, Dietrich, 2005. "Industrial groupings and foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 75-91, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:weltar:v:144:y:2008:i:1:p:1-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.