International Rent Sharing and Domestic Labour Markets: A Macroeconomic Analysis
Foreign subsidiaries account for a significant part of output in many industrialised countries. Compared to international trade relations, however, relatively little is known about the role foreign direct investment linkages play in the transmission of disturbances from one country to the next. Inspired by the micro-evidence on profit sharing within multinational corporations and within industries, we investigate for six countries whether a cross-border rent-sharing phenomenon can be identified at the macroeconomic level. The rent-sharing hypothesis implies that an increase in foreign profitability should boost wages and/or employment in the domestic economy. We find corroborative evidence for Belgium, France, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK. US labour market conditions, by contrast, are not affected by changes in profitability in other countries, which could be explained by the still relatively modest role of foreign-owned capital in the American economy. Hence, international rent sharing might be an important aspect of global economic linkages.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 142 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: https://www.ifw-kiel.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/international+economics/journal/10290/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John W. Budd & Jozef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005.
"Wages and International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 73-84, February.
- John W. Budd & Jozef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2002. "Wages and International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 522, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Budd, John W. & Konings, Jozef & Slaughter, Matthew J., 2002. "Wages and International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 560, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jeroen J. M. Kremers & Neil R. Ericsson & Juan J. Dolado, 1992.
"The power of cointegration tests,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
431, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Pedro S. Martins, 2004.
"Rent Sharing Before and After the Wage Bill,"
Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics
200405, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Martins, Pedro S., 2004. "Rent Sharing Before and After the Wage Bill," IZA Discussion Papers 1376, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pedro S. Martins, 2008. "Rent Sharing Before and After the Wage Bill," Working Papers 12, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- F. Fakhfakh & F. Fitzroy, 2003.
"Basic Wages and Firm Characteristics : Rent-sharing in French Manufacturing,"
Working Papers ERMES
0311, ERMES, University Paris 2.
- Fathi Fakhfakh & Felix FitzRoy, 2004. "Basic Wages and Firm Characteristics: Rent Sharing in French Manufacturing," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 18(4), pages 615-631, December.
- Fathi Fakhfakh & Felix FitzRoy, 2002. "Basic Wages and Firm Characteristics: Rent-sharing in Frensh Manufacturing," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 0203, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Oswald, Andrew, 1996. "Rent-Sharing in the Labor Market," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 474, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- John W. Budd & Josef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2002.
"International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
8809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John W. Budd & Jozef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, "undated". "International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," Working Papers 0202, Human Resources and Labor Studies, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campus).
- Budd, John W & Konings, Jozef & Slaughter, Matthew, 2002. "International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 3326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ewe-Ghee Lim, 2001. "Determinants of, and the Relation Between, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth; A Summary of the Recent Literature," IMF Working Papers 01/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Frank A.G. den Butter & Robert H.J. Mosch, 2003.
"The Dutch Miracle: Institutions, Networks, and Trust,"
Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE),
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 159(2), pages 362-362, June.
- Butter, Frank A.G. den & Mosch, Robert H.J., 2001. "the Dutch miracle: institutions, networks and trust," Serie Research Memoranda 0018, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Louis N. Christofides & Andrew J. Oswald, 1989. "Real Wage Determinatioan in Collective BArgaining Agreements," NBER Working Papers 3188, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jansen, W. Jos & Stokman, Ad C.J., 2004.
"Foreign direct investment and international business cycle comovement,"
Working Paper Series
0401, European Central Bank.
- W. Jos Jansen & Ad C.J. Stokman, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment and International Business Cycle Comovement," Macroeconomics 0402029, EconWPA.
- W.Jos Jansen & Ad C.J.Stokman, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment and International Business Cycle Comovement," MEB Series (discontinued) 2003-10, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Berben, Robert-Paul & Jansen, W. Jos, 2005.
"Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 832-857, September.
- Robert-Paul Berben & W. Jos Jansen, 2003. "Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view," Finance 0310001, EconWPA.
- R-P. Berben & W.J. Jansen, 2001. "Comovement in International Equity Markets: a Sectoral View," MEB Series (discontinued) 2001-11, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Blomström, Magnus & Globerman, Steve & Kokko, Ari, 2000. "The Determinants of Host Country Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2350, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arai, Mahmood, 1999.
"Wages, Profits and Capital Intensity: Evidence from Matched Worker-Firm Data,"
Research Papers in Economics
1999:3, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Mahmood Arai, 2003. "Wages, Profits, and Capital Intensity: Evidence from Matched Worker-Firm Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(3), pages 593-618, July.
- L Christofides & A Oswald, 1991.
"Real Wage Determination and Rent-Sharing in Collective Bargaining Agreements,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0042, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Louis N. Christofides & Andrew J. Oswald, 1992. "Real Wage Determination and Rent-Sharing in Collective Bargaining Agreements," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(3), pages 985-1002.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment, Technological Change, and Economic Growth within Europe," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1770-1786, November.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald & Peter Sanfey, 1992.
"Wages, Profits and Rent-Sharing,"
NBER Working Papers
4222, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John W. Budd & Matthew J.Slaughter, 2000. "Are Profits Shared Across Borders? Evidence on International Rent Sharing," NBER Working Papers 8014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:weltar:v:142:y:2006:i:4:p:792-813. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.