International Rent Sharing and Domestic Labour Markets: A Macroeconomic Analysis
Foreign-owned firms account for a significant part of output in many industrialized countries. However, compared to international trade linkages, relatively little is known about the role of foreign direct investment linkages and multinational firm behavior in the transmission of disturbances from one country to the next. Inspired by the micro- evidence on profit sharing within multinational corporations and within industries, we investigate whether a cross-border rent sharing phenomenom can be identified at the macro-level. The rent sharing hypothesis implies that an increase in foreign profitability should boost wages and/or employment in the domestic economy. Our empirical study provides evidence that international rent sharing might be an important aspect of global economic linkages. In four continental European countries and the UK, labour market conditions (wages and/or employment) are significantly affected by profitability conditions abroad. By contrast, the US labour market does not appear to be sensitive to changes in profitability in other countries, which could be explained by the still relatively modest role of foreign-owned capital in the US economy.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 142 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10290/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oswald, Andrew, 1996. "Rent-Sharing in the Labor Market," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 474, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- John W. Budd & Jozef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005.
"Wages and International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 73-84, February.
- John W. Budd & Jozef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2002. "Wages and International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 522, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Budd, John W. & Konings, Jozef & Slaughter, Matthew J., 2002. "Wages and International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 560, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert-Paul Berben & W. Jos Jansen, 2003.
"Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view,"
- Berben, Robert-Paul & Jansen, W. Jos, 2005. "Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 832-857, September.
- R-P. Berben & W.J. Jansen, 2001. "Comovement in International Equity Markets: a Sectoral View," MEB Series (discontinued) 2001-11, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Kremers, Jeroen J M & Ericsson, Neil R & Dolado, Juan J, 1992.
"The Power of Cointegration Tests,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 325-48, August.
- Christofides, Louis N & Oswald, Andrew J, 1992.
"Real Wage Determination and Rent-Sharing in Collective Bargaining Agreements,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 985-1002, August.
- L Christofides & A Oswald, 1991. "Real Wage Determination and Rent-Sharing in Collective Bargaining Agreements," CEP Discussion Papers dp0042, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Blomström, Magnus & Globerman, Steve & Kokko, Ari, 2000. "The Determinants of Host Country Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2350, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J & Sanfey, Peter, 1996.
"Wages, Profits, and Rent-Sharing,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(1), pages 227-51, February.
- Louis N. Christofides & Andrew J. Oswald, 1989. "Real Wage Determinatioan in Collective BArgaining Agreements," NBER Working Papers 3188, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment, Technological Change, and Economic Growth within Europe," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1770-86, November.
- Fathi Fakhfakh & Felix FitzRoy, 2004.
"Basic Wages and Firm Characteristics: Rent Sharing in French Manufacturing,"
CEIS, vol. 18(4), pages 615-631, December.
- Fathi Fakhfakh & Felix FitzRoy, 2002. "Basic Wages and Firm Characteristics: Rent-sharing in Frensh Manufacturing," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 0203, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- F. Fakhfakh & F. Fitzroy, 2003. "Basic Wages and Firm Characteristics : Rent-sharing in French Manufacturing," Working Papers ERMES 0311, ERMES, University Paris 2.
- Pedro Martins, 2009.
"Rent sharing before and after the wage bill,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(17), pages 2133-2151.
- Pedro S. Martins, 2004. "Rent Sharing Before and After the Wage Bill," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 200405, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Pedro S. Martins, 2008. "Rent Sharing Before and After the Wage Bill," Working Papers 12, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- Martins, Pedro S., 2004. "Rent Sharing Before and After the Wage Bill," IZA Discussion Papers 1376, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ewe-Ghee Lim, 2001. "Determinants of, and the Relation Between, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth; A Summary of the Recent Literature," IMF Working Papers 01/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Arai, Mahmood, 1999.
"Wages, Profits and Capital Intensity: Evidence from Matched Worker-Firm Data,"
Research Papers in Economics
1999:3, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Mahmood Arai, 2003. "Wages, Profits, and Capital Intensity: Evidence from Matched Worker-Firm Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(3), pages 593-618, July.
- Frank A.G. den Butter & Robert H.J. Mosch, 2003.
"The Dutch Miracle: Institutions, Networks, and Trust,"
Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE),
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 159(2), pages 362-, June.
- Butter, Frank A.G. den & Mosch, Robert H.J., 2001. "the Dutch miracle: institutions, networks and trust," Serie Research Memoranda 0018, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- W. Jos Jansen & Ad C.J. Stokman, 2004.
"Foreign Direct Investment and International Business Cycle Comovement,"
- W.Jos Jansen & Ad C.J.Stokman, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment and International Business Cycle Comovement," MEB Series (discontinued) 2003-10, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Jansen, W. Jos & Stokman, Ad C.J., 2004. "Foreign direct investment and international business cycle comovement," Working Paper Series 0401, European Central Bank.
- John W. Budd & Josef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2002.
"International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
8809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Budd, John W & Konings, Jozef & Slaughter, Matthew, 2002. "International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 3326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John W. Budd & Jozef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, . "International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," Working Papers 0202, Human Resources and Labor Studies, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campus).
- John W. Budd & Matthew J.Slaughter, 2000. "Are Profits Shared Across Borders? Evidence on International Rent Sharing," NBER Working Papers 8014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:weltar:v:142:y:2006:i:4:p:792-813. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.