Food security impacts of industrial crop production in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review of the impact mechanisms
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Faaiqa Hartley & Dirk van Seventer & Emilio Tostão & Channing Arndt, 2019. "Economic impacts of developing a biofuel industry in Mozambique," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 233-249, March.
- Joleen A. Timko & Aklilu Amsalu & Emmanuel Acheampong & Mesfin K. Teferi, 2014. "Local Perceptions about the Effects of Jatropha ( Jatropha curcas ) and Castor ( Ricinus communis ) Plantations on Households in Ghana and Ethiopia," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(10), pages 1-18, October.
- Maurizio Bussolo & Olivier Godart & Jann Lay & Rainer Thiele, 2007.
"The impact of coffee price changes on rural households in Uganda,"
Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(2‐3), pages 293-303, September.
- Bussolo, Maurizio & Godart, Olivier & Lay, Jann & Thiele, Rainer, 2006. "The Impact of Coffee Price Changes on Rural Households in Uganda," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25345, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Henny Romijn & Sanne Heijnen & Jouke Rom Colthoff & Boris De Jong & Janske Van Eijck, 2014. "Economic and Social Sustainability Performance of Jatropha Projects: Results from Field Surveys in Mozambique, Tanzania and Mali," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(9), pages 1-33, September.
- Ajanovic, Amela, 2011. "Biofuels versus food production: Does biofuels production increase food prices?," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 2070-2076.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Headey, Derek & Bernard, Tanguy, 2011.
"The Burkinabè Cotton Story 1992-2007: Sustainable Success or Sub-Saharan Mirage?,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1460-1475, August.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Headey, Derek D. & Bernard, Tanguy, 2010. "The Burkinabe Cotton Story 1999-2007: Sustainable Success of Sub-Saharan Mirage?," Discussion Papers 93137, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Baiphethi, Mompati N. & Jacobs, Peter T., 2009. "The contribution of subsistence farming to food security in South Africa," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 48(4), pages 1-24, December.
- Mellor, John W. & Malik, Sohail J., 2017. "The Impact of Growth in Small Commercial Farm Productivity on Rural Poverty Reduction," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 1-10.
- Graham Paul von Maltitz & Giles Henley & Mike Ogg & Paul C. Samboko & Alexandros Gasparatos & Matt Read & Francois Engelbrecht & Abubakari Ahmed, 2019. "Institutional arrangements of outgrower sugarcane production in Southern Africa," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 175-197, March.
- Govereh, Jones & Jayne, T. S., 2003. "Cash cropping and food crop productivity: synergies or trade-offs?," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 39-50, January.
- Per Pinstrup-Andersen, 2009. "Food security: definition and measurement," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 1(1), pages 5-7, February.
- Abubakari Ahmed & Eric Dompreh & Alexandros Gasparatos, 2019. "Human wellbeing outcomes of involvement in industrial crop production: Evidence from sugarcane, oil palm and jatropha sites in Ghana," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 14(4), pages 1-33, April.
- Charles Onyutha, 2018. "African crop production trends are insufficient to guarantee food security in the sub-Saharan region by 2050 owing to persistent poverty," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 10(5), pages 1203-1219, October.
- Chester Kalinda & Ziyaye Moses & Chama Lackson & Lwali A. Chisala & Zulu Donald & Phiri Darius & Chisha-Kasumu Exildah, 2015. "Economic Impact and Challenges of Jatropha curcas L. Projects in North-Western Province, Zambia: A Case of Solwezi District," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 7(8), pages 1-17, July.
- Graham Von Maltitz & Alexandros Gasparatos & Christo Fabricius, 2014. "The Rise, Fall and Potential Resilience Benefits of Jatropha in Southern Africa," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(6), pages 1-29, June.
- Ian Duvenage & Ros Taplin & Lindsay Stringer, 2012. "Bioenergy project appraisal in sub‐Saharan Africa: Sustainability barriers and opportunities in Zambia," Natural Resources Forum, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 0(3), pages 167-180, August.
- Saturnino M Borras & Jennifer C Franco, 2013. "Global Land Grabbing and Political Reactions ‘From Below’," Third World Quarterly, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 1723-1747, October.
- Arndt, Channing & Pauw, Karl & Thurlow, James, 2012. "Biofuels and economic development: A computable general equilibrium analysis for Tanzania," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1922-1930.
- Delpeuch, Claire & Leblois, Antoine, 2014.
"The Elusive Quest for Supply Response to Cash-Crop Market Reforms in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Case of Cotton,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 521-537.
- Delpeuch, Claire & Leblois, Antoine, 2011. "The elusive quest for supply response to cash-crop market reforms in Sub-Saharan Africa : the case of cotton," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5861, The World Bank.
- Claire Delpeuch & Antoine Leblois, 2014. "The Elusive Quest for Supply Response to Cash-Crop Market Reforms in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Case of Cotton," Post-Print hal-02873236, HAL.
- Richard Mallett & Jessica Hagen-Zanker & Rachel Slater & Maren Duvendack, 2012. "The benefits and challenges of using systematic reviews in international development research," Journal of Development Effectiveness, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 445-455, September.
- Lowder, Sarah K. & Skoet, Jakob & Raney, Terri, 2016. "The Number, Size, and Distribution of Farms, Smallholder Farms, and Family Farms Worldwide," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 87(C), pages 16-29.
- Irene Brambilla & Guido G. Porto, 2011.
"Market structure, outgrower contracts, and farm output. Evidence from cotton reforms in Zambia,"
Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(4), pages 740-766, December.
- Irene Brambilla & Guido Porto, 2005. "Market Structure, Outgrower contracs and Farm Output. Evidence from Cotton Reforms in Zambia," NBER Working Papers 11804, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- German, Laura & Schoneveld, George & Mwangi, Esther, 2013. "Contemporary Processes of Large-Scale Land Acquisition in Sub-Saharan Africa: Legal Deficiency or Elite Capture of the Rule of Law?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 1-18.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Headey, Derek & Bernard, Tanguy, 2009.
"Institutional Reform in the Burkinabè Cotton Sector and its Impacts on Incomes and Food Security: 1996-2006,"
290005, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Headey, Derek & Bernard, Tanguy, 2009. "Institutional reform in the Burkinabè cotton sector and its impacts on incomes and food security: 1996-2006," IFPRI discussion papers 920, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Cheryl Doss & Chiara Kovarik & Amber Peterman & Agnes Quisumbing & Mara Bold, 2015. "Gender inequalities in ownership and control of land in Africa: myth and reality," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 46(3), pages 403-434, May.
- Julia Bello-Bravo & Peter N. Lovett & Barry R. Pittendrigh, 2015. "The Evolution of Shea Butter's "Paradox of paradoxa" and the Potential Opportunity for Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to Improve Quality, Market Access and Women's Livelihood," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 7(5), pages 1-21, May.
- Schoneveld, George Christoffel, 2014. "The geographic and sectoral patterns of large-scale farmland investments in sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 34-50.
- Negash, Martha & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2013.
"Biofuels and food security: Micro-evidence from Ethiopia,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 963-976.
- Negash, Martha, 2012. "Biofuels and Food Security: Micro-evidence from Ethiopia," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126793, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Martha Negash & Jo Swinnen, 2012. "Biofuels and Food Security: Micro-evidence from Ethiopia," LICOS Discussion Papers 31912, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Kuchler, Magdalena & Linnér, Björn-Ola, 2012. "Challenging the food vs. fuel dilemma: Genealogical analysis of the biofuel discourse pursued by international organizations," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 581-588.
- Abdul-Moomin Adams & Issahaku Abudulai & Motin Bashiru, 2016. "The Shea Industry and Rural Livelihoods among Women in the Wa Municipality, Ghana," Journal of Social Science Studies, Macrothink Institute, vol. 3(2), pages 40-56, July.
- Bosch, Christine & Zeller, Manfred, 2013. "The Impacts of Wage Employment on a Jatropha Plantation on Income and Food Security of Rural Households in Madagascar – A Panel Data Analysis," Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, Humboldt-Universitaat zu Berlin, vol. 52(2), pages 1-22, May.
- Collier, Paul & Dercon, Stefan, 2014. "African Agriculture in 50Years: Smallholders in a Rapidly Changing World?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 92-101.
- Arndt, Channing & Benfica, Rui & Thurlow, James, 2011.
"Gender Implications of Biofuels Expansion in Africa: The Case of Mozambique,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1649-1662, September.
- Arndt, Channing & Benfica, Rui M.S. & Thurlow, James, 2012. "Gender Implications of Biofuels Expansion in Africa: The Case of Mozambique," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 125395, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- David Tschirley & Colin Poulton & Patrick Labaste, 2009. "Organization and Performance of Cotton Sectors in Africa : Learning from Reform Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2604, Juni.
- Blessing J Akombi & Kingsley E Agho & Dafna Merom & Andre M Renzaho & John J Hall, 2017. "Child malnutrition in sub-Saharan Africa: A meta-analysis of demographic and health surveys (2006-2016)," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 12(5), pages 1-11, May.
- Haysom, Gareth & Tawodzera, Godfrey, 2018. "“Measurement drives diagnosis and response”: Gaps in transferring food security assessment to the urban scale," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 117-125.
- Michael Brüntrup & Fabian Schwarz & Thomas Absmayr & Jonas Dylla & Franziska Eckhard & Kerstin Remke & Konrad Sternisko, 2018. "Nucleus-outgrower schemes as an alternative to traditional smallholder agriculture in Tanzania – strengths, weaknesses and policy requirements," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 10(4), pages 807-826, August.
More about this item
KeywordsBiofuels; Cash crops; Cluster analysis; Impact mechanism; Sub-Saharan Africa;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:ssefpa:v:12:y:2020:i:1:d:10.1007_s12571-019-00988-x. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.