Are U.S. stock prices mean reverting? Some new tests using fractional integration models with overlapping data and structural breaks
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Myung Jig Kim & Charles R. Nelson & Richard Startz, 1991.
"Mean Reversion in Stock Prices? A Reappraisal of the Empirical Evidence,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 515-528.
- Myung Jig Kim & Charles R. Nelson & Richard Startz, 1988. "Mean Reversion in Stock Prices? A Reappraisal of the Empirical Evidence," NBER Working Papers 2795, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2002. "Fractional integration and mean reversion in stock prices," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 599-609.
- Andrea Silvestrini & David Veredas, 2008.
"Temporal Aggregation Of Univariate And Multivariate Time Series Models: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 458-497, July.
- Andrea Silvestrini & David Veredas, 2008. "Temporal aggregation of univariate and multivariate time series models: a survey," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136205, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Andrea Silvestrini & David Veredas, 2008. "Temporal aggregation of univariate and multivariate time series models: A survey," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 685, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- SILVESTRINI, Andrea & VEREDAS, David, 2009. "Temporal aggregation of univariate and multivariate time series models: A survey," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Smith, Jeremy & Taylor, Nick & Yadav, Sanjay, 1995. "Comparing the Bias and Misspecification in Arfima Models," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 442, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D., 1991.
"On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 155-160, February.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990. "On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 119, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Junsoo Lee & Mark C. Strazicich, 2013.
"Minimum LM unit root test with one structural break,"
AccessEcon, vol. 33(4), pages 2483-2492.
- Junsoo Lee & Mark C. Strazicich, 2004. "Minimum LM Unit Root Test with One Structural Break," Working Papers 04-17, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "LSUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Lee-Strazicich unit root tests with one or more structural breaks," Statistical Software Components RTS00112, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gil-Alana, L. A. & Robinson, P. M., 1997. "Testing of unit root and other nonstationary hypotheses in macroeconomic time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 241-268, October.
- Katsumi Shimotsu, 2006. "Simple (but effective) tests of long memory versus structural breaks," Working Papers 1101, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1988. "Permanent and Temporary Components of Stock Prices," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 246-273, April.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Urga, Giovanni, 2005. "Modelling structural breaks, long memory and stock market volatility: an overview," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 1-34.
- Lo, Andrew W, 1991.
"Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1279-1313, September.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989. "Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989. "Long-term memory in stock market prices," Working papers 3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RSSTATISTIC: RATS procedure to compute R/S Statistic (classical or Lo's modified)," Statistical Software Components RTS00191, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Inoue, Atsushi, 2001. "Long memory and regime switching," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 131-159, November.
- Stephen Leybourne & Tae-Hwan Kim & Paul Newbold, 2005.
"Examination of Some More Powerful Modifications of the Dickey-Fuller Test,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3), pages 355-369, May.
- Steve Leybourne & Paul Newbold & Tae-Hwan Kim, 2003. "Examination Of Some More Powerful Modifications Of The Dickey- Fuller Test," Econometrics 0311007, EconWPA.
- Kim, Chang-Jin & Nelson, Charles R. & Startz, Richard, 1998. "Testing for mean reversion in heteroskedastic data based on Gibbs-sampling-augmented randomization1," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 131-154, June.
- Junsoo Lee & Mark C. Strazicich, 2003. "Minimum Lagrange Multiplier Unit Root Test with Two Structural Breaks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1082-1089, November.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1999. "The Nonstationary Fractional Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 549-582, August.
- Shimotsu, Katsumi & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2006. "Local Whittle estimation of fractional integration and some of its variants," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 209-233, February.
- Lee, Dongin & Schmidt, Peter, 1996.
"On the power of the KPSS test of stationarity against fractionally-integrated alternatives,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 285-302, July.
- Lee, D. & Schmidt, P., 1993. "On the Power of the KPSS Test of Stationarity Against Fractionally-Integrated Alternatives," Papers 9111, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Richardson, Matthew & Smith, Tom, 1991. "Tests of Financial Models in the Presence of Overlapping Observations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(2), pages 227-254.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G & Lam, Pok-sang & Mark, Nelson C, 1990. "Mean Reversion in Equilibrium Asset Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 398-418, June.
- Daniel, Kent, 2001. "The power and size of mean reversion tests," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 493-535, December.
- Shimotsu, Katsumi & Phillips, Peter C B, 2002.
"Exact Local Whittle Estimation of Fractional Integration,"
Economics Discussion Papers
8838, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Katsumi Shimotsu & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2002. "Exact Local Whittle Estimation of Fractional Integration," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1367, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 2004.
- Jacob Boudoukh & Matthew Richardson & Robert F. Whitelaw, 2008. "The Myth of Long-Horizon Predictability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(4), pages 1577-1605, July.
- Souza, Leonardo R. & Smith, Jeremy, 2002. "Bias in the memory parameter for different sampling rates," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 299-313.
- Hassler, Uwe & Wolters, Jurgen, 1994. "On the power of unit root tests against fractional alternatives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 1-5, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Al-Shboul, Mohammad & Anwar, Sajid, 2016. "Fractional integration in daily stock market indices at Jordan's Amman stock exchange," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 16-37.
More about this item
KeywordsFractional integration; Long-horizon stock returns; Mean reversion; Overlapping data; Structural breaks; Temporal aggregation; C14; C32; G10;
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes; State Space Models
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:empeco:v:40:y:2011:i:2:p:373-391. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .